The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Why isn't anything just easy?

SimonB

I've been busy fitting my fuel kit, dual pumps, new rail etc etc. So I'm in the middle of taking the intake manifold off (which incidently is a job I absoluely bloody HATE!) and I knocked something off the side. Just saw it disappearing down the inner wing (how did it get in there!). Clunk clunk clink, somehow it's managed to end up INSIDE my side skirt (which naturally is stuck on, not just bolted). So not only will I now have the thing rattling round driving me nuts until I can get it out but it was my 12mm socket which I need to put the thing back together :banghead:

Luckily I found another socket, but what a PITA!

I've been busy fitting my fuel kit, dual pumps, new rail etc etc. So I'm in the middle of taking the intake manifold off (which incidently is a job I absoluely bloody HATE!) and I knocked something off the side. Just saw it disappearing down the inner wing (how did it get in there!). Clunk clunk clink, somehow it's managed to end up INSIDE my side skirt (which naturally is stuck on, not just bolted). So not only will I now have the thing rattling round driving me nuts until I can get it out but it was my 12mm socket which I need to put the thing back together :banghead:

Luckily I found another socket, but what a PITA!

ha ha someone as daft as myself, comiserations i did exactly the same thing but with a bonnet bolt which unfortunatly i HAD to get out i jacked the car up and used a 25mm hole saw in the underside of the sideskirt and made an educated guess and started drilling holes, on the second one i got lucky

That sounds like my typical experience.

Actually only yesterday I changed my tax disc. I've got an alloy disc holder, with the backplate held on with 5 little screws. 1 was already missing, then I drop a second one...for anybody else in the world it would have fallen on the floor, but for me it disappears down the passenger side air vent :banghead:

I knocked the cover off the drivers side wiper today and it fell down into the engine. Knowing just how many horror stories you guys come up with about lost tools I feared the worst. :(

But it went straight down and landed on the floor. :D

I've got an alloy disc holder, with the backplate held on with 5 little screws. 1 was already missing, then I drop a second one...for anybody else in the world it would have fallen on the floor, but for me it disappears down the passenger side air vent :banghead:

Ah yes.

We have those in two of our cars. Trick is to have a lid off a jar or similar to catch them in should they fall.

not a chance mate it would have to be controlled by a computer to get down there lol

Lol! I did think of that, grovelled about under the car for a bit trying to see if I could get my fingers in there but no chance. It's always the critical bolt you lose. I did think I'd be in big trouble because there's no way of bolting the manifold back on without a 12mm socket. Can't go buy another one cos I've got no intake manifold on! Just as well I've got another one.

When I lost 10mm socket in deep depths of MR2 precat and heat shield, I just used vacuum cleaner with thin garden hose attached by using paper tape :D Works a deal, few seconds of messing around and socket was stuck inside hose :D

God, how many times has that happened to me! Also dropped a screwdriver between the shiny downpipes on my bike, noticed it after I heard this funny scratching noise under braking... Yes, it had melted all over the stainless steel, made a right mess and was poking through enough to hit the floor under heavy braking!!

Course, you have the other problem as well, car is fully back together and you feel really proud of yourself, then you see the pot with 6 bolts, a bracket, and a piece of wire still in it...