The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Just changed my HID lights from 8000k to 4300k

jamesmark

After one of my ballast blew last Friday I bought some new HID lights. A set of Bosch 4300k HID lights, as had Pilot 8000k ones on before.

I have not had a chance to drive with them yet but took some pics so here are some before and after.

Before

After

I got these from Ebay, the guy is no longer a registered user lol my heart sank as I bought them on Saturday and on Monday he was not a registered user I thought f#ck I have lost £££.

Visionbulbs do them but there are a lot to choose from on Ebay, I ordered 9005 for my J-Spec and they fit perfectly with no mods.

I went for Bosch ones rather than the Visionbulbs ones as read a couple saying about the quality of them, unsure what they meant about quality. The bosch ones are nice.

I imagine the quality increase to Bosch units are where its at so to speak :)

Is it though? I am a firm believer that quality can only speak for things so far. As for HID lights am not convinced there there would be any light/brightness difference just maybe build and longtivity of the actual unit I maybe wrong though as I have nothing to compare them too as I have went from 8000k to 4300k.

To be honest Jake I have not driven it yet it will be Tuesday coming back from Yorkshire meet before I will be able to tell, but standing back they look a bit yellow however what it does when driving is what counts.
Well let us know mate. I'd be interested to hear your honest opinion.

I've got 6000k in both my Supras and for me it's still too coloured. 8000k just looks silly to me. I don't want boy-racer colours, I want bright lights.

Guest blueangel

sorry guys but what are the differences in the numbers and what do they mean in terms of brightness or what the bulbs colours are.

The higher the number, the more color. The lower the number, i.e. 4300, the closer to white.

:yeahthat:

4300k is the brightest before you go down to just normal bulbs that do not require a ballast to power them.

3000K appears yellow, works as fog light, and supplies best penetration in bad weather.

4300K is usually used in OE HID equipped vehicles, and is the color temperature with the most output. The light appears fairly white withlight yellowish hue.

6000K has slightly less light output compared to the 4300K, it emits pure whiter light with a slight tint of blue.

8000K has slightly less light output compared to the 6000K, while it emits bluer light than the 6000K.

The list goes on up to 12000K which is purple in colour giving out less colour.

Here are some pics that might help to explain.

Ok well drove them home in dusk and it got darker as I neared home, apart from my beam being cockeyed (needs setting again) I was very pleased! I like them, much much brighter. I always thought that the difference between 8000k and 4300k was negligible but there is a massive difference.