The mkiv Supra Owners Club

New supra advice

ozz

Hi all,

Been lurking for a while, mostly in the for sale section! Got a modified UKDM lude at the moment but after an NA supra for under 5k. Love the cars and can now justify buying one cos of a new job.

Have seen this one on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1998-TOYOTA-SUPRA-SILVER_W0QQitemZ290121818172QQihZ019QQcategoryZ18290QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Seems too good to be true. I've asked a load of questions:

Are there any signs of rust on the car?

Are there any faults not listed?

Has the cambelt been changed recently?

Is the alarm cat1 with certificate?

Has the car been in an accident?

Is the mileage backed up by MOT certs?

Is there a reason you are not MOT'ing the car for sale (ends in two months)?

Is the car UK converted (speedo now in MPH)?

Depending on the responses I've offered a good amount. I'm tempted to offer full price if he'll MOT her.

Anyone know the car? Anyone spot anything dodgey about her? Anything else I should check? His feedback checks out tho he recently bought pads for her.

Thank you!

Seems too good to be true.

thats coz it probably is mate,id be carefull about buying a supra off ebay,there was a few scams a while ago,all reported on here mate,do a search and you will see,

best to buy a supra off here or a trader on here as you know it wil be a nice sample and looked after

thats coz it probably is mate,id be carefull about buying a supra off ebay,there was a few scams a while ago,all reported on here mate,do a search and you will see,

best to buy a supra off here or a trader on here as you know it wil be a nice sample and looked after

I prefer buying off ebay to 'traditional' private ads, bought several at a similar price but I don't know much about supras.

I've agreed a great price with him but have offered extra £50 for him to MOT her - if he won't I'll walk away. Fingers crossed!

Guest mk47

I know of a very nice na which is going up for sale in a week or 2.. if you want to pm me your number ill get in touch when its up for sale :)

Hello mate

Theres a post in the "was it you forum" (canterbury thread) regarding this car.

None of us living in or around here have ever seen it. That said dont mean theres anything wrong with her. Do you happen to have thier Address? if so pm me and il drive by and make sure at least there is a car there.

That car looks great in the pics and for a manual too!!

Could just be a case of the seller not appreciating what he has got!! :rolleyes: I would go and look at it and take cash with you. Also find out where else it is advertised.

For a 98 this could be a bargain!! Just make sure it's not a scammer..........do not send a bank transfer or paypal etc.

H.

I know of a very nice na which is going up for sale in a week or 2.. if you want to pm me your number ill get in touch when its up for sale :)

Will do thanks :)

@Raven, don't have his address but thanks for the offer.

@ Havard - thats pretty much what I was thinking. We agreed the price - I offered him £50 to MOT her and if she passed I would pay the full price as well but he reckons he's going on holiday for two weeks or he would MOT her. Sounds too dodgey so I'm walking away.

Also, I asked millions of questions, all answered except for 'are there any faults on the car not listed'. Seemed to avoid that one so I suspect there is something big looming and he's scared to MOT her.

Shame as she was smack on my budget and far better than I though I could afford.

I've told him I'll buy her if he MOT's her after his holiday.

You will be surprised Ozz. They are a lot of good manual NA's knocking about. I looked for 4 months before falling in love with mine. I paid 5K for a 96 Facelift but have now spent over a grand fixing little bits that I didn't like. (Alarm, wheel refurb, bit of paint here and there, leather seats, mats, headlight refurb) it all adds up pretty quicky and they were all "little" issues when I viewed the car.......:rolleyes:

Take your time and get a feel for what things cost if the car needs things changing. I would not buy a car of e-bay...:blink: Unless the seller will let you come to his home and look at the car and will take cash as a payment, I will walk away.

Too many good cars about to be caught out by some scamming tosser......;)

H.