The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Single advice

colsoop

I have read all the single threads before you say search but most people don't tend to want what i do with their projects.

Now there is nothing wrong with my current turbos but the car has done 96k so i am within that range where they could go pop or they could last another 50 k :D (they are run at a max of 1 bar),so im just looking for advice and ideas really for when the time comes.(so i can save up my pennies)

Is there a single turbo that produces around high BPU figures (400 fly) that will not put too much stress on my engine and wouldn't require major fuelling mods and mapping time and expense to fit (i can remove the stockers myself, only the once though :p )

I spend my time in the 2 - 5 k rev range (i have a 6 speed )

Im not fussed about mega top end oomph. I want stock spool up characteristics or better and im happy with the amount of power produced at BPU and have no desire for more, a bit more torque would be good though ;)

The other alternative is to replace the twins with another set,which may be the best bet for me, i don't know. Im just concerned about finding a reliable set of turbos.

Any thoughts or opinions are more than welcome :)

failing hybrids or stock turbos again I would opt for an SP57, you wcould probably get away with stock 550's I think, you dont want to go to small on the single as you will get no performance gain at all! Its the boost your pushing through the engine thats ultimatly going to ruin things for you, so keep it conservative:(

failing hybrids or stock turbos again I would opt for an SP57, you wcould probably get away with stock 550's I think, you dont want to go to small on the single as you will get no performance gain at all! Its the boost your pushing through the engine thats ultimatly going to ruin things for you, so keep it conservative:(

I don't want any extra power really 400 is enough for me :D

do you have a uk spec or jap spec?

it is a j spec.

see the link in my signature for the spec and parts on my car, of which some are overkill.

@1.2 bar boost, it developed 407 @ the hubs

That was with the turbos running in true twin mod and the boost has been mapped to 1.4 bar, no dyno figures for that.

Fueling will need to be changed, I think, and then something to control the fuel difference.

By the sounds of it, you want more low down response than additional power... in which case, the sequential is a good setup for you, and most of what I have done is leaning the other way, more power.

Maybe NOS as an anti lag? Taking weight out of the car might be an option...

:D Thanks for the link it didn't come up in my search :search:, you asked the same question as me really and have the same ideas too, what was your conclusion in the end ?

personal circumstances changed for me and i'm back in an NA! so no conclusion needed/reached...........

2nd hand jap stockers are a bit of a lottery IMO and possibly not worth the labour costs if you will not be DIYing, UK ones better but require manifold swap etc and Hybrids aren't that much cheaper than small (even some larger) singles........

The most crucial thing to me is the ECU mapping situation. My understanding is IF you can spec up your car (turbo injector size etc) the same as someone else and can get them to help you (£'s!!) then you can use their map and tweak it rather than starting from scratch.........

This way having say a Emanage + T61/7 with a weak wastegate spring may end up cheaper to install than a Emanage and new hybrids setup, and you'd have a map capable of high boost should you wish to use it......

Very useful, i had similar thoughts, i expect my circumstance will change by the time they do indeed go pop but its always good to have an idea in advance of these things going wrong :D

Thanks very much

personal circumstances changed for me and i'm back in an NA! so no conclusion needed/reached...........

2nd hand jap stockers are a bit of a lottery IMO and possibly not worth the labour costs if you will not be DIYing, UK ones better but require manifold swap etc and Hybrids aren't that much cheaper than small (even some larger) singles........

The most crucial thing to me is the ECU mapping situation. My understanding is IF you can spec up your car (turbo injector size etc) the same as someone else and can get them to help you (£'s!!) then you can use their map and tweak it rather than starting from scratch.........

This way having say a Emanage + T61/7 with a weak wastegate spring may end up cheaper to install than a Emanage and new hybrids setup, and you'd have a map capable of high boost should you wish to use it......