The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Fully sorted suspension setup

uzthedentist

most people seem to tune their cars to ultimate single spec creating a bloody fast straightline supra. has anyone gone the other way and created a truly sorted suspension setup? if so can you list your spec and say why you chose the parts.

Im trying to get my supra to handle like my old gt4 (which would eat the supra alive around country lanes) Bit more of a sorted setup and a bit more driver training should sort this i reckon

I've had a few setups now, and I still don't trust 2wd on unpredictable public roads.. 4wd is always going to be better because you can "safely" push it harder.

On a track I absolutely love the supra, it's so much more entertaining, and you can explore the limits without massive concequence.

I'm still experimenting, but somehow I doubt it will have the same level of safe 4wd production understeer that makes for a safer public roads.

of course awd is going to be better/more predictable/more confidence on bends... also consider the weight of the individual cars, and how balanced they are, ie. weight distribution. Supras standard weight distribution is biased slightly too much to the front of the car.

I believe CW does suspension setups. Some other things that you should consider... lsd, strut braces (front and rear), removing weight from the front of the supra, removing unsprung weight.

and wheel alignment, especially camber... my imprezas handling was utterly awesome when 1.5 neg front 3.0 neg rear... however the tyres last 9000kms...

wheels and tyres are also important

and brakes... more confidence in braking later...

Chris Wilson is your man for this. He has a setup made to his own specification for the Supra (custom springs and dampers, with his own allignment).

The people who have had this setup have been extremely impressed. I think it's around £1 - £1.5k for a complete suspension setup, which isn't a bad price considering the cost of some of the so called top end Japenese stuff (which isn't even made for out roads).

i have the chris wilson setup must say its fantastic chris can fine tune the set up to suite youre driving style chris knows that i play with 250 cc gearbox karts at the weekends so tuned the suspention to suite what like no over steer no under steer just shit loads of grip

ikeya parts are major overkill though. i cant see any need for those unless the car is track only.

has anyone changed the following parts and what do you think of the ones you have?

1. polybushes; is there a noticeable difference between the tired old bushes and fitting a whole set of polys? and which one used poweflex etc

2. negative camber, what rates are people running and how did u change it (jic neg links etc)

3. ARBs noticeable difference with trds or do people think harder settings like titan ones are better

4. Strut braces: anyone run on track with and without, any real difference? what difference on what types of tracks?

5. LSD's better to get a TRD LSD or RLTC or both?

6. Damper settings. what settings are people using on the various aftermarket coilover kits and why.

got many more but these are the kinda ideas going through my head lol. ive used the search and these qs arent really answered except the trd one when CW says its a genius mod