The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Buying tips?

slyspark

Off to look at a couple of Supras this week and with any luck will find something I like! I've had a read of the buying guide on here to help me along a bit, but I'm certainly no car expert! Whilst the guide is very informative and I can see it being very useful, can anyone suggest anything else that might be worth watching out for?

Also, plan on having an independant inspection carried out on anything before I buy it, but they cost and I can't afford to do this to every car I look at, so I need some way of narrowing down those I look at to a few potential cars which I can then get checked out.

Finally, any ideas where is best to get a car data check done and what info do I need to get from the car I look at in order to get one done.

In the past none of this has never been a problem as I've always purchased brand new cars direct from the dealer, so have had no need to do any of the above, but now I have my heart set on a soop, I'm gonna have to!

Any tips and / or advice very much appreciated!

Cheers, Rich.

Well, to be honest, only reason I started looking at dealers who had soops for sale was that most are happy to offer me part-x on the car I have at the moment, as I really don't have time right now to get into the whole 'selling old car' thing.

My opinion is that most high street garages don't have a clue about selling Supras. They are also very expensive.

As stated above have a good look around this site, especially at the Supras for sale and traders section.

Its where all the best Supras and knowledge and experience lies.

If using traders on here is not an option for you (although I would defo do this for best results) why not see who on the forum lives near to you and ask them to come with you, probably only cost you lunch, I am sure they would be happy to help, and have a giggle at the prices from garages, I would help out if I was closer. Plus if you tip up in a supe at least they think you know what your talking about and might miss half of the missleading crap out.

Good luck, you will need it, don't get robbed.

Oh and when you find one you really want to go for post some pics and details on here first as it may well be a known motor.

If using traders on here is not an option for you (although I would defo do this for best results) why not see who on the forum lives near to you and ask them to come with you, probably only cost you lunch, I am sure they would be happy to help, and have a giggle at the prices from garages, I would help out if I was closer. Plus if you tip up in a supe at least they think you know what your talking about and might miss half of the missleading crap out.

Cool idea! If anyone is interested, maybe they could reply here or PM me? More than happy to provide lunch and of course cover the cost of fuel, etc!

Anyone fancy helping out at all plz?

cheers :)

i'll have a look with you if its not too far.............had five different ones a know a bit about them...........should help you avoid a lemon or confirm a good one...........

What you looking for in particular, TT I know but any other preferences, colour etc?

Cheers for that Scooter!

Ideally, looking for something along the lines of:

3L TT, Ideally manual (6) UK spec, but as I know these are harder to come by, I'd be happy with an auto, also happy with a J-spec.

Preference colour wise would be silver or black, tho I'd consider other colours too.

Ideally, the Supe will have a body kit - the Bomex ones are quite nice... ...something along those lines anyways. Rather have the standard rear spoiler too, I don't like the larger ones as much.

Finally, I've got a max budget of £8k, so something at this sort of price or under (slightly under would be nice so I can actually spend some money playing about with it a bit)

Hope that helps?

Thats a fairly demanding spec for the price..........but not hopeless.

currently there is a 6 speed UK fairly close, but its stock and in Storm Blue and £1k over budget!.........

Have to say most UK cars are not kitted and far more likely to be stock............

Facelift auto is also a possibility for that sort of money.......

..........i'll keep an eye out for possibilites......

I would say that i've just looked through the trader and not alot jumps out at me as either VFM or nice lookers, not a brilliant selection at present........

Tomorrows the day for major updates on there though so i'll look early..........