The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Holes in boot lid...

CarlT67

I have some holes in the boot lid from a previously fitted aftermarket spoiler. Was thinking of having a go at filling them and painting my self as there are only eight small holes.

Not too sure how to go about it, covering the area underside in fibreglass then filling form the top side with filler, sanding then painting.

Or to find someone who could weld on some small steel plates and fill on top of them...

Just wondering if anyone has any experience or advice on doing this...?

Also is getting the colour to blend etc difficult..?

Guest Phillw454

Its amazingly easy, go to halfrauds, get some filler, then either using the filler or something else sticky stick something to the underside of the hole, eg some mesh, then simply try and smoth over the hole (if youv done plastering its the same type of thing) try and keep it smoth and to a small area, then allow it to dry, sand it down smooth and repeat if you need to.

I was terrified the 1st time but it turnt out ok, the hardest bit was painting it after.

Guest Phillw454

I tried to just keep it to the general area of where id sanded ie the side of the boot lid, but there was a very slight difference in colour and feel but quite hard to nice, could post up/pm pics if you wanted to see how it looked before during and after

could post up/pm pics if you wanted to see how it looked before during and after

Yea that would be great...!

carl, shouldnt be too bad where the holes are and the colour match as its under the spoiler and not on a big ol' area that you can see straight away, eg a door pannel

Thats true, plus the fact that if i do totally mess it up then the bodyshop can always fix it. :D

For smoothing over the filled hole before you paint it, keep rubbing down with finer and finer grain wet&dry sandpaper, keep the area wet whilst you're doing it. Finally wash all the debris and dust off and give it a once over with filler primer, before painting.

Not sure of the exact name, but it's a thickish coat of primer, that smoothes out all those little blemishes before you paint it.

Surewly you would get filler sinkage over time also the opening and closing would cause issues wouldn't it ?

I would have thought it better to weld the holes up and smooth over the welds.

Thats something I was definatly worried about, welding tabs on would certain stiffen the area and make a good surface to build upon.

if your going to fill it,make sure you wet and dry it down as much as possible and use the rounded end of a hammer and tap it slightly so the hole is pushed down,this wil give you a better base to filler it up and wont cause as much filler soak,but dont paint till youve sanded the filler down and its perfectly smooth

Thanks for the replies....

Idealy I would use fibreglass to cover the holes on the underside as I could do this myself, the best approch would probably be to weld for strength though, or would the fibreglass (maybe mixed with mesh) do the job...?