The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Advice please guys,

ShamelessTT

Hi all,

Im not happy with my JSpec brakes at all, there in need of a refurb i think and new discs etc etc.

Anyway this has got me thinking, are they worth messing around with, probably not and i could just replace my fronts etc etc to better brakes and refurb the rears or replace them aswell.

Heres my problem, i have stock wheels on my supra right now.....i cant efford to do both brakes and wheels at the same time as i only have a MAX of a 1500 - 2k to play with.

I really want to have a branded set of front brakes, but i think im gonna have problems with clearance etc if i change calipers????

I dont really want massive high spec brakes, i just want a good set of branded front brakes which will clear my stock JSpec wheels at the moment (Suggestions welcome!).

Any ideas? i dont want to pay a fortune if i can help it, but i know i must do something about my brakes as i just dont trust they wont let me down at the moment.

Cheers,

Simon

17" wheels were available on j-spec's as an option (as were the larger brakes). If they are 16" however then there's not really anything else that will fit behind them. You're best off looking for some stock 17" wheels and the larger "UK spec" brakes from the sounds of it.

Cheers guys , Damn it they are 16's! just checked. The back tyres are nearly new on it aswell!. Ok so lets say i go to 17" UK spec wheels, what brakes for fronts? im looking for cheapish but decent quality.......im not 2 fussed about premium brands etc.

UK spec brakes all round.

Thing is i want new really, with second hand brakes etc they might go the same again........there a fortune new arent they?

I think you're looking a ~£1k for calipers & discs, then ~£150+ for some pads. Roughly. Larger 17" wheels I've seen go for £300.

Ellis has some stock 17's for sale...........£300-400

Then uk brakes all round.......not sure of £'s but £600 secondhand.

The alternative is someones newer j-spec calipers (£50?) and good pads/new disks.........(£350?)

What symptoms/problems are you having with them at present?

The alternative is someones newer j-spec calipers (£50?) and good pads/new disks.........(£350?)

What symptoms/problems are you having with them at present?

Yeah that's a good point, with some decent pads, fluid, and braided lines, it can actually transform the j-spec brakes into something half decent! :D

Your sliders can seize..........maybe just one....and it can do this. Can cause the brakes to drag too and then the brakes can get mighty hot.

Fully functioning j-spec brakes are fine with good pads imo, however if new everything (calipers/discs/pads) are required its a good time to think of the upgrade to UK's...........

Your sliders can seize..........maybe just one....and it can do this. Can cause the brakes to drag too and then the brakes can get mighty hot.

Fully functioning j-spec brakes are fine with good pads imo, however if new everything (calipers/discs/pads) are required its a good time to think of the upgrade to UK's...........

Can you define "fine"?

I have been disappointed with mine since buying the car. I know my calipers are OK because I did have binding calipers and Phoenix replaced them with a decent set. If I stamp on the brakes, then it will stop quickly - but it does seem to need quite a lot of pressure.

I'm not sure whether they should be better, or whether I'm just expecting too much. I have to stamp a lot harder to stop quickly than I do in my other car.