The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Pro's & con's of NOS

rick001

I have just had NOS fitted and it is being mapped into the AEM tomorrow, I was running 550 BHP without it last week during mapping and will be interesting to see the power with it injected, I have also had to have a FPR and twin fuel pumps added to ensure a constant fuel flow as my old pump was getting tired :D

SV200556.JPG

SV200560.JPG

use the kit from 'wizard of nos' his technical knoledege on the subject is amazing, other companies fear debating with him cause he blows them out of the water.

nitrous is the LEAST parasitic from of F/I with the turbo being the most and superchargers in the middle.

when used with a progressive controller to control the amoutnt of nitrous delivery then you are on the right track for sure.

I don't have first-hand experience of what it's like (Phoenix-One on here does though). I have heard that it's fairly expensive to fill up the bottles (£50 for a "normal sized bottle"?), and each bottle-full doesn't last that long (less than a couple of hours if you've got a heavy right foot). This is just what I've heard from others, and I'm happy to be corrected. :)

Judging by the possible expense of it, it sounds like one of those things that owners install, use it for a while, can't be @rsed to keep filling it up, and then it's just a bit of deadweight that you carry around.

Thanks for those pearls guys - it was a good debating point, 1 thats not wasted i'm sure. From my own POV it was an avenue i just wanted info really as im always being asked "Have you got NOS mate" as prob most guys have at some point or other been asked too but after being in a coma for 5 weeks, breaking my back, suffering a Flail chest and blowing my spleen to kingdom come oh and 4 skull fractures and possibly more scars than Rambo (OK thread hijack comming about who has most scars) heh heh, i take the roads and especially m-ways at a pace i feel in control of hence the N/A.

I take enjoyment from knowing that my car is the best looking car on the road and 1 that gets all the attention it deserves - it is as fast as the fastest Supra in the world when people look at and wonder and wonder............:D

Rick

Nitrous is a nice touch to add, but as a lot of people have said, most insurance companies won't touch you with a barge pole. Which means should you have a nudge and have the nitrous system plumbed in you may be in for a tough one with a claim, we all know insurance companies hate paying out and nitrous will give them a VERY good reason not to.

However, if you intend to use it, I would suggest a progressive controller for pretty much anything over 50-75 shot. Something like the twisty sanity unit is brilliant, as it monitors a few things as well as shutting down the nitrous should there be any issues. The controller itself isn't pretty but it is very effective.

Guest Phillw454

£950?????

That better be for a HUGE amount and a wet kit! I bought everything i needed including a NOS 11lb bottle (all NOS branded) for less then 200 and it seemed amazingly easy to plumb in. Is a controller included with that?

Pro- Makes the car go very fast and looks cool

Con- Lucky to find somwhere close that can refill it, wouldnt want the car to catch frie with it inside, chavs may be attracted to it. Danger to manifold if you use to big a shot.:)

£950?????

That better be for a HUGE amount and a wet kit! I bought everything i needed including a NOS 11lb bottle (all NOS branded) for less then 200 and it seemed amazingly easy to plumb in. Is a controller included with that?

Pro- Makes the car go very fast and looks cool

Con- Lucky to find somwhere close that can refill it, wouldnt want the car to catch frie with it inside, chavs may be attracted to it. Danger to manifold if you use to big a shot.:)

Hi Phil

Got the quote from a company called Westonperformnce.com near Brum. Where did you source yours from mate?

That was without controller and only 50bhp...

rick

Guest Phillw454

Mine wasnt new ill admit it was from ebay (ill try and dig out the link as i think it was a shop). But mine did come with everything bar around 3 foot of wire for the switches.

Id suggest shopping around as you do find some mad prices for full kits, but that does strike me as expensive even if it is brand new for a bottle braided hose and the injector thing.

Expensive to run, very very expensive if you don't have your own full size bottle and decanting kit. VERY liable to damage pistons through detonation unless it's set up spot on and the kit is very well developed. Insurance issues. You will be tempted to fit bigger jets, if you succumb to this temptation you'd better expect to be building another engine. personally i don't like it other than to spool a big turbo for serious drag race cars. You'll get fed up with refilling the bottle and you may end up rueing the day you thought of it if you melt the engine down, which is DEAD easy...

..nitrous is the LEAST parasitic from of F/I with the turbo being the most and superchargers in the middle....

Turbo is the most parasitic? Are you sure?;)

If you drive a well-setup car with NOS there's a good chance that you'll be addicted immediately and go for bigger and bigger jets sooner than you think. It's a big kick that ends with holes in your pistons:(

It's also easy to go through a big bottle every weekend, the costs do add up.

Go to the 'NosWizard' forum, they know their stuff.:)