The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Upgrading - Next Steps Advice plz

Henk

Hi all,

As you all know just gone 1/2 BPU with my TT Auto. (2nd Cat removed) presently set to run 0.8 & 1.05 Bar using Apexi Boost Controller.

Have AEM Wideband & HKS BOV fitted. Pads changed for Whifbitz Porterfield ones and brakes feel wonderful now!

Car runs fine now, no issues.

Now here's the plan:

(Bear in mind I cannot change my front lip / bumper, height issues getting to my garage nor do I want to, so an FMIC is out)

I don't want to go nuts on performance upping boost anymore (1st Cat would melt), just want to get everything running as sweet as possible.

I've been thinking: (Ignore bodywork - already booked in to get sorted)

1. Replace OEM rubber pipes with hard pipes
  2. Replace OEM SMIC with a top notch (bigger?) one - (recommendations?) - a CW one was mentioned to me
  3. Braided brake lines already ordered
  4. Rear Strut Brace? (Front already fitted)
  5. Oil cooler? - Any point?
  6. Transmission oil cooler? - Any point?
  7. Replacement rad fan? - Any point?

Am I missing something? Forgotten something?

If you have no plans for a single conversion I'd stick to a good quality sidemount (CW), even then it works fine on a T61. There's no point compromising your cooling with a big FMIC otherwise.. plus the extra weight

Hardpipes are also a waste of time, they'll heat up quicker and retain more heat than the stock rubber ones.

Rear strut brace is also a waste of time, there is a HUGE brace between the rear towers already.

Replacement rad fan is the same story, the stock one is hugely capable, aftermarket ones are inferior as they're much smaller and are not ducted.

I think you'd be best off with a decent sidemount, getting rid of the front cat and using a restrictor ring. Either that or get rid of the front cat and use the stock rear one to restrict (best to get heat away from the turbo's). Also fit a Wlabro with new sock filter or if you're splashing out a UK spec one.

If not done already, a damn good service with ALL fluids replaced (gearbox, axles) and the filters done (stock airbox one, fuel filter).

I'm sure some of the traders and die-hard modders will disagree though ;)

As you all know just gone 1/2 BPU with my TT Auto

Damn. I was hoping to thrash you again at Supra Pod 2008! :p

Good luck with the upgrades though.

I've been recommended that if I ever remove just one cat, make it the first one, to get the heat away from the turbos, as Homer said.

On the whole SMIC/FMIC thing, JohnK's still running a stock SMIC with his small single, and that seems to be coping.

This kind of advice I like, why? Because it's cheap! :)

Lovely, it means I now have more funds for the interior!

Many thanks for the views, it kinda confirmed what I thought.... (just did not want to leave a stone unturned) :)

Don't worry Rich, I can turn the boost back down to 0.8 and we're still good to go :)

agree with homer about the CW SMIC...

if you want some more engine power, why not look at HKS cams?? 256264 or 264/264, neither are wild, and does not interfer with your idle.

EDIT - Rear Strut Brace? (Front already fitted) - not sure how much difference this will make, I would say its not worth it, unless you are tracking the car.

EDIT -and maybe some CW fast road pads

I've been thinking: (Ignore bodywork - already booked in to get sorted)

1. Replace OEM rubber pipes with hard pipes
  2. Replace OEM SMIC with a top notch (bigger?) one - (recommendations?) - a CW one was mentioned to me
  3. Braided brake lines already ordered
  4. Rear Strut Brace? (Front already fitted)
  5. Oil cooler? - Any point?
  6. Transmission oil cooler? - Any point?
  7. Replacement rad fan? - Any point?

Am I missing

1. If you fit a FMIC they will usually include hardpipes.

2. SMIC is adequate for BPU levels, although personally I fitted a FMIC.

3. Braided lines will help with brake pedal feel, a worthwhile upgrade.

4. I personally noticed a difference when I fitted Cusco CF rear brace. My boot door use to creak slightly when going over speed bumps on a slight angle ie. slight flex, the brace stopped the flex/creak.

5. I fitted an oil cooler on mine when BPU, but year round temps here are very hot, probably not an issue in the UK.

6. Same as above.

7. No point replacing the fan, stock is fine.

Don't worry Rich, I can turn the boost back down to 0.8 and we're still good to go :)

*Makes mental note to remove cats, install boost gauge/controller and FCD before next Santa Pod without Henk knowing*

I'm sure we're still good to go whatever the BPU status of your Supra! I'm more than happy enough with the speed of mine (for now...:innocent: ) - not much on the roads can keep up with her!