The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Performance Question

Guest Geneb

Guest Geneb

Right Guys here it is, I've fitted the big decat and left the short one on and im boosting just under 1 bar and im happy with that boost AND DONT WANT TO GO HIGHER, i have not fitted any restrictor rings or FCD as it does not deem to need em, i am about to have a walbro fuel pump fitted though.

is it worth me fitting and aftermarket ECU and having it mapped and would i see any performance increase, the same question aplies to fitting a FMIC?

thank you for any help and info given

Andy

As Thorin said,

The only time it would be an advantage to install a piggyback/EMS is when your boosting to 1.2 Bar as the stock JDM map sensor is only good for 1.0 bar, any higher then your car will be running pretty rich at WOT....Not a problem for UK's as the air intake is measured pre turbo (Air flow Meter) which can measure air correctly at 1.2 Bar, thus supply fuel adequately and keeping the AFR's pretty stable at around 11.5 ish IIRC.

Guest Geneb
As Thorin said,

The only time it would be an advantage to install a piggyback/EMS is when your boosting to 1.2 Bar as the stock JDM map sensor is only good for 1.0 bar, any higher then your car will be running pretty rich at WOT....Not a problem for UK's as the air intake is measured pre turbo (Air flow Meter) which can measure air correctly at 1.2 Bar, thus supply fuel adequately and keeping the AFR's pretty stable at around 11.5 ish IIRC.

thing is im happy to run at just 1bar boost as the car is more than quick enough and that way i put less stress on the turbo's.

well thx for the advice guys rather than spending my cash on a ecu i dont really need at 1.bar i can splash it on other mods.

thx guys

Brakes definately, rest I wouldn't bother with personally.

Brakes are always top of my list... the other two were purely because he is planning on modding past stock, so it is a good idea to monitor those. AFR being the primary important one.

As Thorin said,

The only time it would be an advantage to install a piggyback/EMS is when your boosting to 1.2 Bar as the stock JDM map sensor is only good for 1.0 bar, any higher then your car will be running pretty rich at WOT....

Don't you mean lean? I've also heard that at 1 Bar the stock map is very rich anyway and running 1.2 leans it out, as it only fuels up to 1.0, and provides a better air/fuel mixture.

I always understood it as rich as the ems puts the injectors into 100% duty cycle over 1.0bar.

Not sure we're talking about the same thing. Thorin's post said that at WOT at 1.2 Bar the Supra runs rich. I don't think this is true. More boost and less fuel means it starts to run lean

Don't you mean lean? I've also heard that at 1 Bar the stock map is very rich anyway and running 1.2 leans it out, as it only fuels up to 1.0, and provides a better air/fuel mixture.

Nope I mean rich, the stock map sensor will only help adeqauetly fuel till 1.0 bar after which the injectors pretty much run full duty...hence running rich.

On my old BPU at 1.2 bar my AFR's were at 10.6 at WOT.

Not sure we're talking about the same thing. Thorin's post said that at WOT at 1.2 Bar the Supra runs rich. I don't think this is true. More boost and less fuel means it starts to run lean

More boost does help it lean out, but you have to remember that would only be the case if the map sensor would operate past 1.0 bar.

After 1.0 Bar the injectors pretty much run full duty i.e for arguments sake, the Injector duty would go from 75% @ 1.0 bar to 100% @ 1.2Bar which is a big jump....the only way to really lean it out would be to run 1.4 bar plus which would probably kill the turbos or the engine due to severe det.

I'll disagree, I think it is very worthwhile fitting an emanage or emanage ultimate on a BPU Supra. You should be able to get a fair few more ponies and torques at the same boost level.

I ran mine at BPU levels for around 5 years with an emanage and it made quite a difference when fitted/mapped.

I'll disagree, I think it is very worthwhile fitting an emanage or emanage ultimate on a BPU Supra. You should be able to get a fair few more ponies and torques at the same boost level.

I ran mine at BPU levels for around 5 years with an emanage and it made quite a difference when fitted/mapped.

Nic I would agree with you, only if someone is going full BPU to around 1.2 Bar.

Single Decat at 1.0 Bar does not warrant a a piggy back ECU, the gains would be minimal.

You saw a big difference because you were running 1.2 Bar, this is where a stock ECU (JDM Spec Car only) will run the injectors full duty and thus robbing you of valuable horses.

At 1.0 Bar or less the stock Ecu is more than capable.

Nic I would agree with you only if someone is going full BPU to around 1.2 Bar.

Single Decat at 1.0 Bar does not warrant a a piggy back ECU, the gains would be minimal.

You saw a big difference because you were running 1.2 Bar, this is where a stock ECU will run the injectors full duty and thus robbing you of valuable horses.

At 1.0 Bar or less the stock Ecu is more than capable.

:yeahthat:

Nope I mean rich, the stock map sensor will only help adeqauetly fuel till 1.0 bar after which the injectors pretty much run full duty...hence running rich.

On my old BPU at 1.2 bar my AFR's were at 10.6 at WOT.

OK. Didn't know that, I always though that you risked running lean above 1.2. So if you're running rich from say 1.0 to 1.2 you're not maximising the power increase you could be getting.

Where do you plumb an AFR gauge in? and is this the same as 'wide band'?

cheers