The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Single Turbo Debate = BHP

Jurgen-Jm-Imports

not trying to stir things up but what i have noticed over last few years ....most of the single projects are not getting high horse power figures that was to be expected most are under 600..

but some of the singles we have brought in from japan with exception of matts trail supra (not sure what figure he has), have made 530 plus on rear wheels with out any AFR issues... so a genuine 600bhp fly car..

and we all know japan dont normally have build engines and all the supportive fuelling mods..

the last 2 singles supras we had made [email protected] bar wheels and [email protected] bar..over 600 fly

and am hoping andy t51r and keefs t51r are 600 bhp plus straight from the docks with a nice tweek on the dyno...

so is the low figures purely down to the turbos being used in the uk? as many guys on this forum have spent excess 20k on parts and under 600bhp..

on another note my rx7 even though not a big known bhp car still makes now 540 at 1.1 bar which is what most single turbo supras run on here i would of expected most guys will be on 700 plus with the monies spent and with the 2jz engine should be sailing above the 600 mark

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

All the Japanese made turbo kits for the Supra are big hp spec, T-04R/Z, T51, T78, T88, etc.

It would have been cheaper for me to buy a kit locally, but I personally wanted smaller spec setup, mainly due to the type of driving conditions here. 542fwhp mine made is more than adequate for my needs here.

Probably as a result of doing things on a budget, popularity of smaller spec turbos (eg. T60, T61, GT35) or perhaps something to do with the mapping and ECU's being used??

IanC's made good numbers running T67DBB and emanage ultimate.

I think it is very much dependant on what RR is used. I have said many times before that a RR should only be used to aid mapping and tuning - not for pub bragging rights.

Let's put it this way, imagine if I owned a RR and the figures produced had all my customers smiling and feeling fuzzy wuzzy. What would the outcome be? Well, I would guarantee that they would be telling their mates that the RR was superb.

Now imagine if the figures were lower and they were disappointed. Then they would be telling their mates that the RR was shit. :D Therefore there is a bit of an incentive to ensure the figures are...erm...acceptable.

Now, I am not saying that your RR is telling porky's but like every other figure, I usually take it with a pinch of salt.

All the Japanese made turbo kits for the Supra are big hp spec, T-04R/Z, T51, T78, T88, etc.

It would have been cheaper for me to buy a kit locally, but I personally a wanted smaller spec setup, mainly due to the type of driving conditions here. 542fwhp mine made is more than adequate for my needs here.

May be down to doing things on a budget or perhaps the mapping??

IanC's made good numbers running T67DBB and emanage ultimate.

yer thats what i thought maybe the turbo size

I think it is very much dependant on what RR is used. I have said many times before that a RR should only be used to aid mapping and tuning - not for pub bragging rights.

Let's put it this way, imagine if I owned a RR and the figures produced had all my customers smiling and feeling fuzzy wuzzy. What would the outcome be? Well, I would guarantee that they would be telling their mates that the RR was superb.

Now imagine if the figures were lower and they were disappointed. Then they would be telling their mates that the RR was shit. :D Therefore there is a bit of an incentive to ensure the figures are...erm...acceptable.

Now, I am not saying that your RR is telling porky's but like every other figure, I usually take it with a pinch of salt.

I agree CJ. A standing quarter is something that you (not you personally) cannot argue against ... as "this RR" vrs "that RR". I've read some threads on here that quote ridicously high rwhp figures for singles. Silly figures infact.

I agree CJ. A standing quarter is something that you (not you personally) cannot argue against ... as "this RR" vrs "that RR"

i dont agree with the quarter miles lol, i can use a bpu supra auto and most likely beat a 450 bhp 6 speed supra but on real road scenario the 450 bhp 6 speed aginst the 360 auto would have no chance

i just dont want to spend 20k on parts and be only geting 540 560 on a supra lol..

or do i just do what japs do to their supras?

It all depends on your turbo choice.

I now my HKS T51 Kai BB will let me do 650bhp with out a sweat for sure. :)

Guest Geneb

Sry jurgen i was just playin with ya bud:p

your missing the point am on about cars from japan compared to the uk build ones, its a friendly debate and want to see why is most uk ones lower bhp--a punter asked me this today hence the thread

i dont agree with the quarter miles lol, i can use a bpu supra auto and most likely beat a 450 bhp 6 speed supra but on real road scenario the 450 bhp 6 speed aginst the 360 auto would have no chance

Really ? Then how come Kean from BL can build a 7 second car with a trap speed of 185mph then ? :)

The way I see it is most "customer" cars want reliable motors or are doing things on a budget in certain regards, and thus don't want to run overly large turbos or large amounts of boost - both cost a lot to do with all the right supporting mods.

The parts bill on the Envy car is quite horrific, and thats at cost price with our own labour!

Gaz.

I think you are missing the point here. it isnt about winning the race but seeing what terminals are achieved. That is usually indicative of true power.

I would also question your assumption that the bigger power car willl always beat one of lesser power. it will depend on the characteristics of the turbo (the spool etc).

I would also point out that when Dude was around, his car didnt make 600 BHP but i think we would all agree that is was no slouch eh? :)

I stick to my first post that said RR power figures are for pub bragging rights and nothing else.