The mkiv Supra Owners Club

painting caliper tip

mathew

been busy today with painting the rest of the calipers but rain has stopped play so i thought id pop on here for a bit. anyway my tip,for anyone about to do this, is dont use a paint brush to put it on use the end of a gloss roller. with the stuff i was using it was going off pretty quick and left brushstrokes but with the roller it went on a lot more evenly. i then used one of those little kiddies paint brushes to do the detailed bits.

other paints may work well with brushes but the halfords caliper paint i used didnt.

lol ive been doing mine today the calipers arent on the car so striped them down and used that folia tech or whatever its called caliper paint not very good stuff to put on do halfords have caliper paint in a spray?

I've always wondered about painting my callipers, as they're rusted, flaky, and looking like general crap... do they need prepping first?... And do they need to come off the car to paint properly?...

I've always wondered about painting my callipers, as they're rusted, flaky, and looking like general crap... do they need prepping first?... And do they need to come off the car to paint properly?...

i left mine on. went over them with a wire brush then sum sand paper before using pre painting wipes. the only hassle for myself was having to take off one wheel at a time and waiting for each coat to dry.

all mine are done pete. started yesterday and finished it all off today while dodging the rain. i wasnt too fussed about the drums at first but with the new wheels on they were very visible along with the rust so i had to do something about it.

i left mine on. went over them with a wire brush then sum sand paper before using pre painting wipes. the only hassle for myself was having to take off one wheel at a time and waiting for each coat to dry.

Nice one, cheers :) - Looks like a job for me one weekend then :)

I used silver hammerite on my hubs and calipers. Looks pretty good and cost about £5.

yep, hammerite has good heat resistant properties too. You can always try engine bay paint, very similar and can withstand being around hot brake pads :eyebrows: