The mkiv Supra Owners Club

powder coating calipers - advice please

Fargo

hey guys,

thought i would make a start on painting my new uk 4 pots, but then saw how easy they were to strip and decided i would get them powder coated instead.

anyone else done this, care to part with any words of wisdom.

im gona be doing them in red, as the car is red, but im thinking maybe go for another colour seeing as though the finish will be perfect.. any suggestions..

Buy a load o masking tape and put about 5 layers on all parts you don't want coated, most coaters will blast the parts before coating them to ensure they are clean so your masking has to be able to withstand this.

Powdercoating is quite thick so allow for this when deciding what to coat and what not to.

I do know a powder coating in Basingstoke, does fantastic work... Not sure if he has done calipers yet, but they did a fantastic job on Graham S's alloys.

Yeh, they are definately the people to use, my wheels were, I thought, beyond help and they came back amazing, better than new.. They did exactly as I wanted plus they experimented and put a glitter/flake in the paint and in the sun looks out of this world!

I would never go anywhere else from now on and can't recommend them enough..

Let me or smokey know if you need the number (mention either of us if you use them and you'll get a bargain too:d ).

Also gt pics of my wheels if you want them.

lets see the pics of the wheels then graham, the coaters near me are literally 2 miles from me, and do 'cash' deals shall we say, as opposed to shipping heavy calipers to basingstoke....so wil need to way up the options, by all means give me the number so i can speak to them.

@colin, do you think it would be better to have each caliper done as a complete item or each caliper in two halves.

I think keeping them whole would be easier, but im not sure how eay it will be to mask the whole unit.

hmm thing is. there is an O ring that sits top/bottom of each caliper that seals the brake fluid path way between the two halves, cant leave that in there during the coating process, and if i have the whole unit coated then have to split them to insert the O ring i may get a big'ol crack down the middle which wont look to good..

oh what to do lol..

No :)

Black :)

Funilly enough, just painted my calipers black, and personal opinion its the best colour, I thought red looked a little tacky (again, personal opinion so hope no one takes offence) but i'm sure if they are powder coated instead of painted they may look better... But get the 'supra' logo on them to finish it off nice!

lol if i keep em black then i may as well leave em as is,,,

yeh supra logo will be going on for sure.

still not sure what colour to go for lol..

I've always liked the understated look of the matt black TRD Monoblack calipers.

TRD also sell the Supra calipers in red, here's a pic to show you what they would look like.

Will the heat of baking the powder coating not damage the seal between the two parts of the caliper?

Mine are painted silver with red writing.

thats what i mentioned in an earlier post, if i keep them together with the view not to split them again, then the O ring will have to stay and then of course may get damaged.

Right i had a look at the calipers i have in the garage today. I think your best bet is to strip them down and powder coat them in pieces as it is much easier to mask them that way.

yeh think your right col, out come the masking tape and washers..

colour wise think im still gona go red, maaaaaybe with some blinging fleck mixed in...dunno..

I believe that the "o" ring in between the two halves of caliper is a bit of a nightmare to replace. Not sure though, as ive never split the caliper myself.

spliting the two halves is easy, 4 bolts, getting the O ring off is easy, is it a nightmare to buy the O ring or something.