The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Please Help.

Guest 2jZ4tW

Guest 2jZ4tW

This isn't really a technical problem nor is it a question about one, its more about your opinion the Supra I want to purchase. Currently, I own a SRT-4 which isn't as good as Supras but I can't complain. I am looking foward to selling this neon and purchasing a Toyota Supra by the end of this year and need your opinion this. Now bare with me.

Now I've been really wanting to get the Supra since as long as I can remember and now that the opportunity is near, I just wanted to know was would be better in terms of saving a little money and time (inteligent solution). I've seen Supra's on sale ranging from $6,000 - $60,000 (in American currency of course) and didn't exactly know why the prices are different. A couple of things that could cross my mind would be the different custom mods, trannys, engines, (2jz or the 2jz gte) with the twin set up, idk. I came to the conclusion that It would be best that I'd buy a really cheap supra and just mod it up myself. I mean, even If i did get a $60,000 supra, I was still planning on customizing it because there's a number of things I want to do with it.

Now my question to you all is, would it be better for me to just buy a cheaper Supra and spend the real money in custimizing it the way I want with the 2JZ-GTE swap, 6 speed tranny, mods, interior change, paint job, etc... or will that just be a waste of money rather than getting a $60,000 supra with all the things in it? I mean, I don't understand why the price of some Supras are so high and some so low. Are there any specific spec differences with in the interior or exterior of a regular stock 2JZ, 2JZ-GE or stock 2JZ-GTE (besides the engine)? Is it worth getting a tranny swapped/bought onto another supra or just stock with the car? I'm open to any comments and opinions, and thank you everyone for taking the time to you read this. Please don't hesitate to comment on my lack of knowledge with this car, I've only been driving an neon :D and really want to be smart about investing my money on my dream car.

If there is confusion as to what I am trying to apply, please ask.

American price differences have been the subject of some discussion here before. Confusion reigns as to the extreme costs of one Supra over another.

I would get the cleanest stock Supra you can find. TT because your fuel doesn't cost 9 dollars a gallon, manual, harder to find, so may have to settle for auto.

Interiors don't change much, leather and air con are pretty standard.

Plenty of tuning expertise in your country so have a word with them when sourcing your motor.

Above all when you get it have fun.

Regards. :)

Yep - exactly what Andy says.

Although it does depend on what plans you have for the car mate. I'd be looking for a BPU Supra with a decent Intercooler (FMIC or CW style), decent decatted exhaust and monitoring gauges, etc.

But it's always better to start off STOCK and do the mods yourself so you know EXACTLY what has been done :)

Best of luck.

Greg

As he is in America he will have no problems finding a manual.

They also have leather as standard, i believe all American spec Supras are like our Uk spec cars so are the top spec anyway.

Model choice will depend on what your plans are,do you like your speed or do you like the looks and pose appeal, are you a lazy driver or do you like to feel in control ?

All these things determine the model and engine choices you make.

I would personally get the best standard Supra i could afford, and add my own touches to it.

Good luck with your search :)

Guest 2jZ4tW
American price differences have been the subject of some discussion here before. Confusion reigns as to the extreme costs of one Supra over another.

I would get the cleanest stock Supra you can find. TT because your fuel doesn't cost 9 dollars a gallon, manual, harder to find, so may have to settle for auto.

Interiors don't change much, leather and air con are pretty standard.

Plenty of tuning expertise in your country so have a word with them when sourcing your motor.

Above all when you get it have fun.

Regards. :)

Thank you everyone for your replies on this. That's exactly what I wanted to know about the interior (ac, seats....etc). My plans are to change every single mod and basically bring it back to a new look and performance feel. I really do want the 2JZ-GTE because of it's capabilities to handle 1000HP stress (not that im looking for that much power) but it would be good to have an engine I don't have to internaly change just for power. Would it be better to buy a supra with the 2jz-gte already in it or buy a cheaper supra and just swap the engine. What would be less expensive? Same for the tranny. If anyone here has done that before. The reason I ask this is because I haven't really seen much supras out there for sale with the 2jz-gte.

Guest 2jZ4tW
As he is in America he will have no problems finding a manual.

They also have leather as standard, i believe all American spec Supras are like our Uk spec cars so are the top spec anyway.

Model choice will depend on what your plans are,do you like your speed or do you like the looks and pose appeal, are you a lazy driver or do you like to feel in control ?

All these things determine the model and engine choices you make.

I would personally get the best standard Supra i could afford, and add my own touches to it.

Good luck with your search :)

Thank you, and yes I will keep an update on this everytime.

Do you know how much a strong 6 speed tranny would cost me for the supra. I did a tranny change on my srt because the aftermarket clutch i bought destroyed the gears in the tranny. dont ask me how cause no one knows. it costs me $2000.

I would say get a supra with a 2jzgte already in it. I don't know how much an engine swap would cost over there but I think a swap to a non turbo supra would be a pretty big job. Does anyone know what the chassis differences are to a non turbo and a turbo, ie.brakes, suspension, driveshafts etc. i would have thought a lot of differences.

From what i have heard from members on here that have done the swap themselves it dosent seem like its a hard job to do the swap from N/A to TT.As for the brakes the j-spec N/A and TT are the same not sure on the suspension but by the sound of it he will be uprating it anyway.Once i have my car looking,stopping and handling the way i want it to i will be going N/A - TT cant wait :D

Guest 2jZ4tW
I would say get a supra with a 2jzgte already in it. I don't know how much an engine swap would cost over there but I think a swap to a non turbo supra would be a pretty big job. Does anyone know what the chassis differences are to a non turbo and a turbo, ie.brakes, suspension, driveshafts etc. i would have thought a lot of differences.

This is exactly what I was atrying to find out. Thank you!!!

So far it sounds to me like it might be a good idea to go ahead and purchase the n/a. I can always do the TT set up another time, but for now, it's the chassiss that worry me. If it's the same, than i'll just go for the n/a. But than you for pointing it out for me a little clearer. :D