The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Advice on supra wheels

Guest jmccor

Guest jmccor

Hi All

I have no wheels for my supra, bought it damaged and all four wheels were scrap.

I have been offered a cheap set of 18X7.5jj

is this a waste of money because they are the same size front and back??

what effect will it have on the car?

:hijack: sorry for the hijack but Pete, im looking at some 8.5x18 fronts and 9.5x18 rears with offsets of 35. Is that not good?

I'm not really qualified to answer as I have not had experience directly of driving a car running the 'wrong' offset.

I went with stock wheels (would consider Lexus ones) simply because they are the best solution for handling. I'm a CW fan and advocate of his thinking. ;)

Also consider the manufacturer (quality), weight etc. There's loads of factors to choosing good handling wheels. Many people sacrifice this for looks.

Some good points there Pete. Ive been meaning to give chris a call actually about my suspension knocking. And being based right inbetween welshpool and oswestry he's perfect. Ive not met him before but the 2 Jamies from shrewsbury know him i think and speak highly of him. But so does everyone.

:hijack: sorry for the hijack but Pete, im looking at some 8.5x18 fronts and 9.5x18 rears with offsets of 35. Is that not good?

Hi Adam

9.5x18 +35 wheels will fit on the back. They will sit slightly wider than stock wheels, but they will fit within the wheel arches without rubbing.

cheers

Potentially stupid question; what do you mean by offset and how do you find out what the 'right' offset is?

very basically its a measurement (in mm) of the distance the mounting face of the wheel is from the centre line of the wheel......

the right/stock offset is 50, the normal after market ones are usually in the 32-50 range (the lower you go the more the wheel will move away from the car ie they fill the arches better)

Hi Adam

9.5x18 +35 wheels will fit on the back. They will sit slightly wider than stock wheels, but they will fit within the wheel arches without rubbing.

cheers

Cheers Nic. So the fronts will ne of too?