The mkiv Supra Owners Club

What would you replace the supra with?

JohnA

Hypothetical question:

Suppose some stupid truck reversed and totalled your supra. You get the insurance payout and nobody's hurt.

What would you replace it with?

I asked myself this question, and (to my surprise) the answer was 'another supra'.

That's funny since I get bored quite easily, it's the first time I'd consider replacing an ageing car with a (later, obviously!) version.

The looks have grown on me even more, the quality of ride is excellent, ergonomics spot on (for my medium build) and high speed roadholding is exemplary (on the dry!)

OK, second time round I would follow a different tuning path and opt for a manual and different colour (you have to change some things, otherwise you don't feel you pay money and get nothing 'new'). I'd probably go for a late VVTi and single it to 6-700bhp, on the edge of the gearbox limits really.

But I'm surpised with this thinking, because before I got the supra I was planning on a Vaux Monaro afterwards (good twin-turbo project). Time has allowed me to appreciate the supra even further:d

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm with you on that - would get another Supra without a doubt.

Although if I wasn't going to be using the next car as much I might be tempted by an R32 GTR!

The only cars I might be tempted by if I was using it alot would be 350Z or E46 M3 as both great cars and newer.

I've driven R32s, R33 and R34s and would still go for the supra.

Despite it being less practical and pretty hopeless on the wet. It just feels 'right', the whole power delivery thing, the way it wraps around the driver, the way it sticks to the road when you floor it at 120, the way it stops from silly speeds, the way it looks from 3/4 rear angle...

Plus I appreciate the fact that things just don't fall off. They are properly built.

Mmmmm, I would also probably buy another supra and like you said it would have to be a manual single conversion to make it a bit different and a completely different animal in performance but Iv got a soft spot for TVR's especially the Sagaris but its a bit out of my price range :( I would also consider the a TVR Cerbera but only the 4.5 litre daddy, I really like those cars and the interiors are lovely, it would be a hard decision for me.

I love (other people's) TVRs

I am a power freak, always has been.

But in my book, a 1.5 tonne car needs 500 bhp to shift properly, 6-700bhp is better.

It's hard to get this sort of power from a non-turbocharged engine. Not reliably anyway. We're talking everyday use, on pump fuel, something that starts any day, no questions asked and doesn't scream 'special' either.

I love (other people's) TVRs

I am a power freak, always has been.

But in my book, a 1.5 tonne car needs 500 bhp to shift properly, 6-700bhp is better.

It's hard to get this sort of power from a non-turbocharged engine. Not reliably anyway. We're talking everyday use, on pump fuel, something that starts any day, no questions asked and doesn't scream 'special' either.

For a true 6-700bhp your talking a lot of lag though John...I didnt think you would like that sort of thing....I thought you would be more of a small single man

For a true 6-700bhp your talking a lot of lag though John...

Not at all.

Lag would be slightly more than stock.

Boost threshold would obviously not be 2000rpm any more, but on a manual this is not an issue - you adjust your driving habits to hover at 1000rpm more if you want to be 'on the boil'

Off-boost response can be almost as good as stock, at least if you've got AEM and you know what you're doing.

I didnt think you would like that sort of thing....I thought you would be more of a small single man

Medium single, producing the power of a bigger one.