The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Eek! Oil in ECU connectors?

cheekymonkey

Guys,

Yes having a bit of a car day today. Fitting wiring harness and FCD.

Undid the ECU harness and felt a bit of oil like substance. Whipped the ECU out and you can see in the pic I have some oil or something in the connectors. Is that normal? There's no evidence of any leaks, no oil anywhere else in that area, and the rest of the ECU looks great!

PICT0024.JPG

ECU fluid? I hope you mean that as a joke? Has the car had a matrix changed by any chance, it could be just some old crap that was left behind...

:p No it hasn't had anything like that changed as far as I know. It was only a very small amount of oil, might check again in a couple of months.

At least if it is a problem, it's only going to get as far as the fields harness now, and not the ECU! :)

ECU fluid? I hope you mean that as a joke? Has the car had a matrix changed by any chance, it could be just some old crap that was left behind...

Its a well known fact that the ECU is suspended in Fluidic Space, its all to do with Quantums. If you open it, the Supra will cease to exist. :D

Have you checked the grommit up by the engine bay section where the loom goes in, if oil is getting blown onto the loom it could be running its way down the entire length of the wire to the ECU, however you should be able to feel the oil/gunk on the wires leading up to the ECU.

Someone has sprayed the connector with something like WD40 in the past, probably to try and fix an iffy connection, it has eveaporated to leave the oily base you see, that's my best guess.

Hahaha, occam's razor strikes again...

The simplest solution is usually the right one... I didn't even think about something like that...