The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Getting a new rear bumper

cheekymonkey

Well things just keep going wrong for me at the moment!

I was hit from behind by another driver, damage shown below. Just had an initial call from my insurance company, they seem clueless and have asked me to get some estimates myself, which I have no problem doing as I know a couple of good garages here, but I think I'll want to source the parts myself.

What am I looking at here - new rear bumper obviously, but what's the side bit called?

Any ideas where I could get them from?

James :(

PICT0015.JPG

Sorry to hear about the shunt. I think all jspec supra bumpers get shipped over from Japan ready-sprayed in the correct colour. Only the UK bumpers can supplied in primer (or whatever the base coat is) which can then be sprayed by a bodyshop.

If the other driver hit you, you're best bet is to get a new rear bumper shipped from Japan or from a Toyota stockist. AFAIK they're around £700 or so.

Can't help you on the name of the other side part I'm afraid.

Col thanks I will bear that in mind - at this point I will be basially handing off to the 3rd party insurance company to sort out, but if it all gets a bit messy I will just get it sorted myself and take you up on your very kind offer!

No worries, if you need part no's post up or pm me, im pretty sure they come pre painted when ordered and are circa £600 -700 :(

But if the liability is admitted then thats their problem not yours :)

Guest CoolsBlue

leave your car at night racer for a few days, trail rear has spats blended to the rear bumper and they can blend into the bodywork looks like a little bit mite need to be pushed in a bit for the spats to fit over, but not all of the spat will cover the dent so part of it will need to be pulled and filled(at the top of the spat), thats the botch way :p and the up side is the spat on the trial rear meets nice with the veilside skirts!

Guest Geneb
Feeling a bit better now as I'd taken it to my garage and they say it's repairable fairly easily. I just need to wait for the other driver to admit liability because it doesn't look like she's going to without a fight :(

how can she not admit it she bloody hit you from behind?

or was it your fault that your car was so pretty she felt the urge to join with it?

sorry to see you car in that condition bud

how can she not admit it she bloody hit you from behind?

or was it your fault that your car was so pretty she felt the urge to join with it?

It's a bit of a strange one - I was turning right, into a layby (for a kebab mmmmm), so indicated, and moved slightly over to the left to make the turn, started turning and bam she hit me.

I know though at the end of the day it's her job to make sure she doesn't hit anything in front of her regardless. I just think she's going to cause problems!

No, you should be fine. It may drag it out a bit but in the end she'll be found to be liable.

Thanks for the support. That's what everyone has said so far so I feel quite confident, but you always think don't you, did I do anything wrong? But at the end of the day *she* hit *me* :)

Hopefully though something good will come out of this with the trial rear :D