The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Hot engine - worrying about nothing?

Harps

It could just be my imagination and being a bit paranoid *puts pointy foil helmet on*

The last couple of nights, I've driven the Supe to pick up the missus (about an 45mins drive) and the engine has become hot. Very hot. So hot, my feet sweat from the heat in the footwell! I've not noticed it before, though it has been pretty toasty the last couple of days, that might have something to do with it, but to put my mind to rest is there anything obvious I can check?

Oil temp is fine, so I'm hoping it is just me panicking over nothing :)

hate to state the obvious. but youve checked your guages are working right?

because mine has stuck before.

if you have the car ticking over, the oil temp sould rise from zero reach a normal level, then you'll hear your fan kick in. then the level on guage'll hold.

if the fans kicking in = good, if it isnt = bad, but not hard to fix.

apologies for the sucking eggs lesson.

hate to state the obvious. but youve checked your guages are working right?

because mine has stuck before.

if you have the car ticking over, the oil temp sould rise from zero reach a normal level, then you'll hear your fan kick in. then the level on guage'll hold.

I'm pretty sure it's coolant temp, not oil.

How do yo hear a viscous fan setup "kick in"??

Cheers for the advice guys.

I've got it booked in with Toyota later for a quick diagnostic check - when I was thinking about it earlier the Engine Management Light did light up. Something I've seen many a time (bloody active spoiler!) but the red warning light wasn't on, which hasn't happened before.

Definintely not got any coolant leaking, had it up on the ramp a week ago with nothing showing. Other than that, could it be the SMIC not working efficiently?