The mkiv Supra Owners Club

new member saying hello!

Guest suprajon

Guest suprajon

Hi everyone, nice club you got going here! I've just bought a 1997 6sp manual NA Supra, which is my first ever experience of a Supra. I saw it on ebay, liked the look of it, bid on it not expecting to win the thing, but I did. It has no history supplied with it, but I'm told that it has been serviced at a place in Scotland called "ARDVARK" or something like that. Does anyone have any knowledge of this place, and if so an address or contact number would be appreciated, as I'd like to trace the history. Thanks, Jon.

Never heard of them and a search turns up nothing.

Is it a new import? If it is then it shouldn't be such a concern as most cars come over with nothing. I do recommend you get a Bimta check done to verify the mileage.

Guest suprajon
Never heard of them and a search turns up nothing.

Is it a new import? If it is then it shouldn't be such a concern as most cars come over with nothing. I do recommend you get a Bimta check done to verify the mileage.

Its been in the UK in Glasgow area since 2000, so somebody somewhere will (Hopefully??) have serviced it. I bought it from a trader up there who said that there was a lot of history from the previous keeper which had been lost in a house move. The car appears to have been looked after, so fingers crossed! Jon

Guest suprajon

I'm struggling to upload any pics for some reason. I'm not too clever with the whole computer thing. It was ebay no. 270111865224 if this helps.

looks more gunmetal that quicksilver. its 2 dark

Yes it is gunmetal by the looks of it.

Welcome to the club Jon :thumbs:

It may be a former club members car, as I think I have seen that 'Supra' DIN slot plate before on here. One of the Glasgow clan here may know.

It looks very clean and original from the outside, however the engine bay looks a bit rough. The brown residue on the engine bay pic looks like evidence of overheated radiator coolant. TBH that pic of the engine bay wouldn't inspire me with a great deal of confidence in the trader. Check fluid levels and I'd keep an eye on the temp gauge.

The next thing I would do would be to remove the HKS airfilter, buy some petrol or degreaser, apply liberally to the filter element, then set light to the thing. They are very poor at filtering and add no performance. The one on there looks like it hasn't been changed for some time, do your engine a favour and refit a stock airbox and filter element.

Check the condition of the oil, any decent trader should ensure the car is given a service before selling. If the oil doesn't look fresh, get it changed along with the other fluids.

A couple of other things I noticed

1. the wheel centre caps are the early model Supra ones, the wheels may not be original and have been changed at some point. The late model wheel caps should look like this:

http://img508.imageshack.us/img508/1461/p1020454lu6.jpg

2. The fit of the bonnet looks a bit wonky on that front on pic, the shut lines around the headlights are not equal, which would suggest it may have been removed at some point. Check for evidence of a respray on the front end.

As Homer suggested, get a Bimta check done to make sure teh mileage is genuine.