The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Supra v/s skyline

Guest WJX808

Guest WJX808

TESTED IT DONE IT...mine is a uk spec supra with standard turbos and all...only did the piping and air filter..

Last night i tested with my mates newly purchased skyline R34 V2spec..On the straits...he could not keep up with me...hes just behind by about one car though.

Man i was suprised...is this a known fact where supras are better than skylines in terms of drag?

Guest jc1300

wow

sounds good are you sure ur mate was trying??

i wuda thought the 34 4wheel drive wud pull one a supra

unless it a rolling start

Guest jc1300

[QUOT

jc1300 - go do some research into the capabilities of a Supra, then get back to us.

lol

yeah maby i should

iam still new to the supra :search:

Guest WJX808

its a 96 Japan Spec but i have the UK spec turbos on...as my original ceramic japan spec turbos were leaking...Luckily, i managed to get a good pair of steel supra UK spec turbos from a half-cut shop with reasonable value. I feel that the UK spec turbo has more power on the second push (when 2nd turbo kicks in) compared to the Japanese ones. However, the japan spec turbos actually picks- up a little faster than the UK ones.

And abt the R34, of course is rolling start...jesus its a V2spec..we went from approx. 50kph and dragged it till 180...before his speed cuts....and the supra was faster..slightly

Guest WJX808

Yeah stock to stock bro..as in engine and turbos and ECUs lah...

I had my intercooler changed of course...as well as the filters..but those are just accessories.

I believe the supra's aerodynamics did the trick. Although Skyline also has its aerodynamics but its definitely better in the Supras.

Im sure u noticed when ur going faster and faster..ur car seemed more stable? Also..the vacumm in the cock pit of the Supra is far better (ie. more quiet) than the R34 especially on higher speeds.

I was really shocked considering the R34 is a newer...

Hes comparing stock vs stock.. glad to hear the Supra won out.. like you said I think the aero helps a bit. Sounds like the UK tubbies are throwing out a little more power too overall.

Spend 3k on both cars and they'll probably have the same result from a roll.

With regard to stability.. the car does squat at higher speeds and does feel extremly stable, do you have the front active spoiler on yours?

Guest WJX808
we have an r34 in the family; it's not that quick in standard trim,not surprised you did so well after all.

Now try spending 3k on engine mods and see which one is quicker :eyebrows:

To feel the optimum power for the R34, with standard specs that is, u would need to change the oil pump, water pump and maybe fuel pump. Increase the boost to 1.2-1.4...then ull have a fun car to play with. If you do not change these things (ie. the oil pump and water pump) then you might risk damaging your engine..if you rev it a lot lah.

For a supra however, u do not have to change these things mate. Unless you running on bigger turbos etc.

Overall, if we modify these two cars, definitely both will be monsters...that is why they are legends.

Guest WJX808
Dry road and rolling start - sounds about right.

When my R34 was standard it felt a bit sluggish compared to my BPU Supra. Nice and revy, but not as much torque.

Thats true...i felt less torque in the standard R34 compared to the standard supra. I believe the 2JZs have more torque in it...the same can be said for the 1JZ compared to RB25.

Thats why i have seen many 1989-1990 cefiro models here are more modified with a 1JZ as compared to RB25.

There was also this dude who converted his 350Z engine to a 2JZ recently. Saying that he wants more power...its really massive as everything has to be changed from the engine to the long shaft. Im sure these things are more common in Japan eh?

Guest WJX808
I dont know as I've not driven one without it.. but I presume it adds a little extra downforce at the front, which helps at higher speeds/stops the steering going vague/light.

Looks nice too :)

Ic ic...thanks for the info. Unfortunately mine does not come with it...maybe i should customize one?:)