The mkiv Supra Owners Club

SZ Performance???

Guest neil_165

Guest neil_165

Hey,

I just decided to get a Supra. I have at the mo an MX-5 and really like it but want something more powerful etc and have always loved the Supra.

I've had a look at both the N/A and the twin turbo. There seems to be loads of info on the performance and spec of the twin turbo but not on the N/A other than '225bhp'.

Could anyone help me choose and also give me an idea on how different the performance is between them. Any help will be great!

Thanks.

I have had an NA manula for about 3 months and I am more than happy with the performance, but then again I am not interested in driving at silly speeds.......:rolleyes:

At the end of the day it is a 3 Litre straight six and it will shift if you know where to get the power (4.5 - 6K revs). If you have any doubts then go for a TT. I was put off a TT as the cost of repairs can be massive.....:blink:

Drive them both!!

H.

Non turbo Supra is very slow IMO... stock TT isn't fast as well, but if you spend +£1k (BPU) you will have nice, quite fast and reliable car. Buy TT if you can afford it.

Wtf, thats a bit of an extreme view!

It depends what you are used too, if you're young and coming from a sub 150bhp fwd car then an NA will be a great upgrade. However if you're used to RWD cars and have had 200-300bhp cars then the NA probably won't be much of a thrill.

Edge's post earlier sums up the modding aspect well though :)

BTW, moving to chat.

N/a is ok still .... (lets see how many people say yea right)

i've had mine since April, and love every min one day i'd like a TT but i'm already paying 60£ a-week of petrol i'd hate to think what id pay on a TT??

but to be fair, the N/a still does 150mph (not like id ever do that or anything:innocent: )

Guest Geneb

the N/A is a very competent car bud i had one and upgraded to a TT and TBH i prefer the N/A as the TT is ass happy and you really cant benefit from its power round town.

but put the TT on a fast road and you think your god and no other car deserves to be in front of you:):):)

Guest neil_165

thanks guys for all your help! didn't think i'd get such a massive response!

whats the 0-60mph time for the N/A?

my mx-5 is about 140bhp and rwd but is light as anything and you can really throw it round corners and is pretty quick (well i think it is anyway). i'm not really worried bout the insurance cos either as i have had quotes and there isn't much difference (check out bell.com!) but just the initial cost of the car. I just want to be able to put my foot down and for it to go and to actually feel it too. I don't want it to feel to heavy and big.

Think I may go for the N/A and then perhaps upgrade to the TT in the future.

:)

My last car in Poland was 296fwhp Mazda 323 GTR...

I bet that felt nice on Polish roads :D

When people talk about the difference between a TT and an N/A it's like they're comparing a Ferrari with a Micra.. I don't think the difference is really that big, unless you have BPU/Single.

N/A is a sec or two behind stock TT 0-60, and both have a top speed the average driver wouldn't go near.

The most common mistake is that 'the n/a doesn't rip your face off' thing. The N/A is a much smoother delivery of power than most cars, and a turbo has an obvious 'punch'.

Also it's worth chucking in the point that because N/A's aren't as tunable as a TT, they're less likely to have been 'fiddled with'... which 'some might argue' makes then 'less prone' to erm.. dying.. :)

If you want a car that will work all day every day, and put a smile on your face every time you drive it, then N/A is the way. If you want the car to rip your face off, with cost implications of modding/maintenance/fuel, then go TT.

The TT is great but my NA is perfect for me. Its not slow and you can get 0-60 in around 6 secs. At the Thor dyno day one NA hit 198 bhp at the hubs. Mine was down on that but a good service seems to have brought it back up.

Im not the best driver in the world so the NA is great for my first rear wheel drive car. All depends on what you want. Im sure in a year or two I'll be thinking of going NA-T or selling up for a TT, but only because I want to build up my experiance not cause the NA is not good.

yep ive had my n/a for 2 -1/2 years now and every time i drive it it puts a smile on my face.done the full decat ,induction kit [shut it]

its never let me down .get 20-25 mph on normal unleaded.and you still get the same attention from the public.:D :d

I am happy with my N/A.

Like mentioned above its not a slow car.

However I would like a turbo for the reasons of the beautiful sound of waste gate chatter and when Im in the n/a and hot hatches pull up next to you at the lights or start antagonizing you on dual carriage ways. The N/A will beat them (they all seem to lack top end clout) but would like a twin turbo to propa wip their asses..! :D

However how often does the opportunity knock come along...

i love my N/A. i would als love a TT but after weighing up my needs and wants i came to the conclusion an NA would suit me best. aftr a few brushes with the law im currently drivng ike a granny anyway so a TT would be wasted on someone like myself

Hey,

I just decided to get a Supra. I have at the mo an MX-5 and really like it but want something more powerful etc and have always loved the Supra.

IMO a 140BHP MX-5 and a 220BHP NA supra will be very similar driving experiences speed wise. Ok the supra will be torquier and have a higher top speed, but you'll trade a smidge of handling/nimbleness (i had a little go in a mates 'Y' reg MX-5 and was impressed and it felt more responsive - definitely as far as the steering feel.....)

Depends how much you value extra poke.......

People out on cruises etc often are suprised when they later find out when certain cars are NA's, but from within them there is no mistaking the two..........TT's (stock) are silky smooth, absolutely effortlessly propel you along........can find yourself flying without even trying.........NA's you'll need to 'work' like i suspect you have to do in your MX-5..........

Also worth bearing in mind manuals command a premium, if your a stick only guy, a TT manual for under £8k is a rare beast......but £4-5K will get you a great manual NA...........

bottom line, try or get a ride in both..................also if you buy one at the right price then you can always change later for minimal depreciation loss...........