The mkiv Supra Owners Club

been shopping... GT4088R

Mike B

Summer time, a recent trackday at Marham, and the exploits of Jamie P got me scheming..

http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbobygarrett/catelog/Turbochargers/GT40/GT4088R.htm

It's on the way; GT4088R ar95... the car originally had a 40 on but I opted for the smaller GT35R.

They don't make the smaller .85 housing anymore so I had to get the slightly bigger version :rolleyes:

It's the one thing I love about these cars.. there is so much you can change depending on what you want it to do.

a summertime tubby and a wintertime tubby.

Now I just need some R888's.

happy days!

Everyone seems to be raving about this turbo....without sounding to patronising, whats so special about it?? has anyone plotted a efficiency map for this particular turbo yet as I would be interested to see it as it seems to be taking the board by storm? I was going to opt for its smaller brother when I get round to doing the whole single bit

Everyone seems to be raving about this turbo....without sounding to patronising, whats so special about it?? has anyone plotted a efficiency map for this particular turbo yet as I would be interested to see it as it seems to be taking the board by storm? I was going to opt for its smaller brother when I get round to doing the whole sinle bit
You're referring to the GT4088? Mike's is the GT4088R which is a different beast. It's the plain gt4088 that a lot of people are using.

It seems to be a good size for the Supra and a decent power upgrade from the t61 turbos. It's also well priced, you get the GT tech for less than the price of a PHR t61 or t66/67 old style turbo.

I listened to jamie p's specs, michel is going this way, terry S had one on this car.. and I am well impressed by the 35R.. it gets positive boost at 800rpm in 6th, and .5 of a bar of good solid pull by 1.5, and I have a leaking gasket!

Tubby coming from Kyle, a shade under 1k, almost 2x as much as the journal bearing but I have been so impressed with the 35R I didn't want to trade down.

I know it's stupid but sat on the motorway in 6th I hate being up and down the box to get power, the 35r dbb pulls so well at low revs that I never have to change down - even at 60 mph - such a lazy drive on long journeys - reading Jamie's posts his journal bearing turbo is not far off. I'm hoping the lag won't be so different. It's way more effective than jspec ceramic sequential in 6th. I have been in some singles that have nothing below 3.

either way I'm sure someone would buy it off me if I don't like :eyebrows:

I'm on 650 injectors so I'm not going power crazy, so I have to be careful as I could potentially lean out...although the car has hks knock sensors and fbw throttle shutdown for knock, as well as an adaptive ecu.. no need for mapping :)

has anyone plotted a efficiency map for this particular turbo yet as I would be interested to see it as it seems to be taking the board by storm?

GT4088R will make 600hp @ 7000 rpm with peak torque at 5000 rpm. That's right on the limits of the map at 3.1 pressure ratio flowing 66 lb/min at peak power and 47lb/min at peak torque.

That's 25.7 psi boost :)

Good lad, what sort of power will you be looking for with that little puppy then?

I really don't know - Terry says it's an extra 70, but his may have been the ar .85. Looking forward to finding out. I don't think it's necessary in the winter, but with the hotter days, grippier roads I think I can find a use for it!

Comes with a free shovel to dig myself out of the grass at donnington!

GT4088R will make 600hp @ 7000 rpm with peak torque at 5000 rpm. That's right on the limits of the map at 3.1 pressure ratio flowing 66 lb/min at peak power and 47lb/min at peak torque.

The map in the F-Con map is self adapting, although Reg tells me the car is due an update, as he runs the same system and has done a lot of work on it over the past 2 years.

It does shut it's self down when it detects knock, I was getting a bit of this at Marham when it got hot using pump fuel, reassuring if not a little annoying sometimes.

Not for long, new GT4088 should be here this week but as i have all the water lines in now im thinking i may aswell go for the "R" now aswell.

You may as well, it's hardly going to make it produce less power or spool slower. It's only money :D

Great choice Mike, when are you expecting it to be on & setup???

It may be a few weeks - am flat out at work. I have a water/meth kit to put on, as well as a EGT sensor. I want to have enough time so I'm not working to a timescale.. get the job done properly!

I don't even know where to get 888's from... I'll be asking Wez i think... my local tyre dealer was scratching his head.

now im thinking i may aswell go for the "R" now aswell.

It would be an interesting test for you - as you still have the map from the journal bearing turbo. I would be interested to see what the 6th gear low rev pull was like in comparison.

The only thing is that if you melted your last tubby, it's a lot more money to spend on something that you could melt again. Having said that the garret website say the dbb's are a lot more durable. Still, 1k to put that theory to the test!

It would be an interesting test for you - as you still have the map from the journal bearing turbo. I would be interested to see what the 6th gear low rev pull was like in comparison.

The only thing is that if you melted your last tubby, it's a lot more money to spend on something that you could melt again. Having said that the garret website say the dbb's are a lot more durable. Still, 1k to put that theory to the test!

Im having the 2 step disabled now Mike, i cant be arsed to have the car of the rd if i break another.

It may be a few weeks - am flat out at work. I have a water/meth kit to put on, as well as a EGT sensor. I want to have enough time so I'm not working to a timescale.. get the job done properly!

I don't even know where to get 888's from... I'll be asking Wez i think... my local tyre dealer was scratching his head.

Mike there's a tyre place in the centre of Middlesbrough where me & my mate get them, C & S Tyres.