The mkiv Supra Owners Club

BPU vs VX220

b.weeks

Hi all,

My mate has a VX220 (lovely car) and we're trying or organise a track day together. I know it depends on the track (I'm trying to find one with long straights!), but anyone hazard a guess at how they will compare (or even better experience of going against one)? I told him he's going to have the edge as will have better handling. But what you recon ... ?

See my garage for my spec.

Cheers,

Ben.

Normal VX or the turbo?

Driver skill will play a large part in it I guess but if it's a turbo in the right hands he should be able to worry you.

I've been on a trackday with one at Elvington and I was quicker but I have no idea how hard he was trying, on the same day I was put to shame by a well driven stripped out Saxo, ho hum.

i took a turbo for a test drive before buying the supra and to put it simply i shat myself driving it! unbelievable noise inside the cabin and it felt like you were inside a tin can. how would it compare against a bpu? ive not got a clue.

The VX220 turbos seem to be listed as either 4.7 or 4.8 0-60, so pretty much the same as the Supra.

But yeah, I'd tend to agree with others here - with similar driver skill and similar rubber, the VX220 will have a slight advantage on corners and the BPU will have a good advantage on straights, so it would depend on the track.....

Stay away from anything fiddly or with coned bus stop chicanes or the like.

Supras like huge sweeping bends, Silverstone GP would be good, Cadwell Park would be your slaughter house, it's just too fiddly.

Remember it isn't rocket sceince to get 300bhp out of a VXT either.

Wait two laps then go out - if it's not leaking coolant, lunched it's own cambelt, or had half the bodywork fall off I'd be suprised :D

My house mate had one for a couple of years. It went round bends OK but did all the above. It's also got the worst engine note I've ever heard, really unpleasant, which is a shame as it's all you can hear.

-Ian

The VX is soooo much easier to toss around than the soop. Remember there is something like 1000 lbs difference. The VX actually does feel like the gocart it is compared to. Much easier on the limit and not so...hmmm...scary due to less power and the smooth power curve. You're not worrying about the second turbo to kick in once in a while in a tight corner.

Not to dizz the soop. I actually bought that AFTER testing the vx. It would be a great second car though.

Conclusion: Unless its a huge track and an imbicil driver, you will have your hands full :)

• 3 months later...

OK, I can now report back as track day was on Monday. All-in-all we were keeping pretty even with each other over the whole course of the track. The VX definitely takes the corners better, whereas the Supra's backend wants to come out round the corners and you have to be patient putting the power down. I wasn't getting ahead of him as much as I expect on the long back straight though - he was doing 130 at the end and I was doing 140mph - I was only really noticable pulling away at 110 - 120mph. I was expecting a little more difference, so may need to investigate (have heard of other BPU cars going faster on the same straight).

Hi all,

My mate has a VX220 (lovely car) and we're trying or organise a track day together. I know it depends on the track (I'm trying to find one with long straights!), but anyone hazard a guess at how they will compare (or even better experience of going against one)? I told him he's going to have the edge as will have better handling. But what you recon ... ?

See my garage for my spec.

Cheers,

Ben.

You should do a few las and then swap, it will give a good impression allround as that way you can't say oh he was a better driver, that's how he won.:)