The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Are these intercoolers any good?

Glosphil

Phil I have had experiance with the first one, Dont get it, its not efficient... I had to remove the whole front end of a customer car, Bumper lights, Bumper bar etc, Then had 3 fans round the car to cool it.... Not good mate....

The Greddy ones seem quite good. My SMIC replacement works well, you need to be able to see the core properly, and to have properly diffusing end tanks. i did have a link to a site that showed how to tell if end tank design was good, can't find it now. An I/C is only as good as its ducting. You can have a huge un ducted I/C and a small ducted one, with correct pressure differential across the core, both internally and externally, will outperform it. So your front bumper design, and whether you keep the aircon condenser or not makes a huge difference. It's quite complex, but most aftermarket I/C designs are quite poor, and i have yet to see a MKIV one that addresses ducting AT ALL :(

If one more person tells me to get a greddy 2 row I'm going to scream lol.

Been after one for ages, could of got one off nic by now. Ebayer ripped me off on a new one, members selling them taking months to get them off cars, blah blah.

I want one quick hence why I started looking at these bits of rubbish. Thanks for the advice.

If you've got a greddy 2 row, I want it.

I've got one of these intercoolers - no problems at all, no Idea what Jody's on about. Fitment was dead easy and straight-forward, crash bar is still there and no additional fans needed. Even felt ever-so slightly quicker having used it to replace a rather sick looking smic.

I don't know if I'd trust it with a single set-up, but at least then I can just change the core and keep the pipes.

Bob this was on a PHR stage one, making about 500hpish, The temps kept rising and we had to keep aborting the mapping due to the intercooler, We ended up with our massive fan right up against the intercooler with 2 smaller ones on each side.. and even then it wasnt ideal...

Im sure its better than a old OEM one but it seems the more expensive coolers do a better job, prob down to design and overall quality...

I've got one of these intercoolers - no problems at all, no Idea what Jody's on about. Fitment was dead easy and straight-forward, crash bar is still there and no additional fans needed. Even felt ever-so slightly quicker having used it to replace a rather sick looking smic.

I don't know if I'd trust it with a single set-up, but at least then I can just change the core and keep the pipes.

I've got one too.

Nothing had to be relocated.

No extra fans needed.

Bolted in by drilling 2 holes in the bumper bar

Is absolutely huge.

Was good VFM as far as I'm concerned, and if I have problems with temps & flow I can always upgrade at a later date. For stock J spec turbos it does the job.

If it makes you feel any better, I've got a Greddy 2-Row on mine, Chris fitted it for me and it's perfect - just what I needed :p

Oh, and I get it pretty damn cheap brand new, cheaper than Nic the Pimp in the end actually :)

Windup merchant :D

If it makes you feel any better, I've got a Greddy 2-Row on mine, Chris fitted it for me and it's perfect - just what I needed :p

Oh, and I get it pretty damn cheap brand new, cheaper than Nic the Pimp in the end actually :)

Shame it didn't come fitted with a drain plug :p

Bob this was on a PHR stage one, making about 500hpish, The temps kept rising and we had to keep aborting the mapping due to the intercooler, We ended up with our massive fan right up against the intercooler with 2 smaller ones on each side.. and even then it wasnt ideal...

Im sure its better than a old OEM one but it seems the more expensive coolers do a better job, prob down to design and overall quality...

Ah right, I see what you mean - I thought from your post you'd had major fitment problems or something!

Yeah, I very much doubt it'd be much cop at all with a single, but at least the ally pipes are nice and shiny :D

Where did you get yours mate?