The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Return of the smoke machine

Bob

Ho hum. I thought it was just my turbo seals, but no. Now it's suddenly smoking at start-up so at a guess it's VSOS again. :rolleyes:

I'm particularly pee'd off with the fact that just over a year ago I replaced all the VSOS with 'uprated' Ferrea 'viton' stem seals. Uprated my arse, Mr. T's lasted a hell of a lot longer! But in the interest of science, I'm going to be trying a different make anyway - a set of IRD Blue Viton ones from ebay - and we'll see what state the Ferreas are in when I start pulling bits apart :flame:

So I'm thinking of keeping the smoke machine churning away through the summer months so I at least get a chance to enjoy it. Then, over winter and the miserable months, I'm going to tear the engine apart - rebuilding where needed and checking each and every clearance. And if the budget can stretch (which it probably will do), maybe go for new rods and pistons too.

And as I said to my dear, understanding wife - if those smoky ceramic b*stards come off, they ain't going back on! :D:eyebrows:

They weren't damaged during install were they?

If they are fitted with the valves still in I think a sleeve needs to be plaved over the valve before the seal is slid (??? correct grammar?) over it.

Don't want to teach granny to suck etc, just curious ;)

They weren't damaged during install were they?

That was my original thought, but they've sealed perfectly for 14-15 months with no smoke on start-up at all. Surely if they were damaged then they'd have smoked virtually straight away?

If they are fitted with the valves still in I think a sleeve needs to be placed over the valve before the seal is slid (??? correct grammar?) over it.

Hmm, first I've heard of that. I've not seen it in any of the guides on here or mkiv.com, and I don't think it's in the Toyota workshop manual either (even though they take the head off to do it)