The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Which type of welder for custom stainless exhaust

Wez

Not dissing or anything, but it sounds like you need to get someone else to do it Wes.

Or plenty of practice on scrap stuff first. :)

I'd have to agree with the practice bit...

I made the mistake of watch my mate weld, and he maked it look so super easy... Getting a nice clean weld is a result of practice, practice, practice..

It isn't just a case of hold the torch and squeeze... With things like MIG you need to get the current and wirespeed right (or at least have a good idea what to start with)...

TIG is not something I've tried yet, we are busy saving some workshop-pennies to get a TIG welder (so if anyone hears of AC/DC one going cheap, let me know)

tig is a skill aquired over many years of practice, mig was always classed as semi skilled as mostly production workers can pick it up .

tig welders are like gold these days and if they are coded , are in a league of their own .

but im talking now in the context of heavy industry pipework , but you get the gist

You can even spot weld with mild steel Mig then get someone to Tig it. A few spots of mild steel will be no problem.... just don't go for the gasless crap welders, the slag it produces will mess up the Tig if not all cleaned off perfectly (and the welds look sh*te too).

Just got in from doing mine making a one off 316 stainless exhaust 3" from the turbo back, I bought the bends from Pipe line centre they call it dairy pipe.

Im going to tig weld it up as this is will give the best results will post up pics tomorrow when its done just making the backbox now

Wez, I know a superb welder in Reading if you need one. His welding is almost a work of art, I've never seen anything like it.

He's quite a big name in the bike and drag racing scene as he does a lot of work for various race teams. He likes to have things prepped beforehand, he only welds and does not engineer stuff. His prices are sensible.

I have the gear, just need the skill to justify it now ;} My stainless welds used to be absolutely dire, they have progressed to fairly aweful now. I am sure that I will get better, but don't hold your breath. Thick stuff is quie easy, thinner stuff tricky, lightweight stuff is frustratingly difficult / impossible for me, if I want something to be unashamed of. the photo below is a fuel swirl pot I made. The early attempts looked like pigeon *hit from a bird on curry, according to a "friend" :)

http://www.chriswilson.tv/weld.jpg

I have the gear, just need the skill to justify it now ;} My stainless welds used to be absolutely dire, they have progressed to fairly aweful now. I am sure that I will get better, but don't hold your breath. Thick stuff is quie easy, thinner stuff tricky, lightweight stuff is frustratingly difficult / impossible for me, if I want something to be unashamed of. the photo below is a fuel swirl pot I made. The early attempts looked like pigeon *hit from a bird on curry, according to a "friend" :)

http://www.chriswilson.tv/weld.jpg

That is a lovely looking bit of welding, I'd be chuffed with that... I'm still getting to grips with continous welding, I can get short sections around 3 inches long but certain don't get that good a finish yet. I still class myself as a pigeon welder..