The mkiv Supra Owners Club

+700whp Supras

Kim1978

So, I have been searching old post and reading this forum for a while now. One thing I have noticed is when someone says he is looking for +700whp in his or hers Supra many experienced/professional Supra owners will say "you don't need that much juice" or "traction will be your biggest enemy, go with 500whp instead for drivability and normal roads"

Since I drive a 4WD Audi with "only" 400hp traction has never been an issue for me.

My question to you is: Don't you guys have (i) Launch control, (ii) Traction-Control or most important (iii) some sort of boost controller where you can set the boost in each gear and engine rpm in order to avoid uncontrollable burn-outs when you get full boost.

/Kim

A few points,

1. 4WD Will always do wonders for Traction...

2. Traction Control/Launch Control is available for the Supra in the form of RaceLogic which helps quite a bit.

3. Most big singles run 1.0 Bar+ just off the wastegate so a boost controller wont help in the early gears, even if you could drop the boost to 0.5 Bar bar in the early gears, it's still so much power that it would be difficult to get full traction.

4. Tyres/Suspension/wheel size can also determain the amount of traction you can put down.

HTH:)

Racelogic Traction control is an option that many owners choose, at even more modest power levels, as the standard traction control is not very sophisticated as it was designed atleast 15 years ago. RLTC certainly helps with your points i, and ii. Whilst RLTC can help with point iii ,it is most likely that the replacement EMU will have adjustable features that will limit sudden increases in engine rpm.

So with upgraded suspension, better tires, boost controller and RLTC you should be fine if you aim for the 700s - 800s rwhp.

Oh, I was only guessing, cos he sounded a bit snobby! ;)

Sorry, I did NOT want to sound snobby (I blame it on my poor english if it came out that way). I was just curious why so many pros advice new Supra owners who wanna go single to aim for the 500s instead of +700whp...

In short the conversations I have had of late have been about having smaller turbos (GT4088 for example) and getting 500+ whp and great drivability, 700whp needs a big turbo and therefore much more turbo lag and then the street drivability is compromised ;)

:yeahthat:

Who wants 700bhp and no power below 5000rpm? Sod that, I'd rather have a 500hp car that is truely fast on the road - which is where it really matters.

So with upgraded suspension, better tires, boost controller and RLTC you should be fine if you aim for the 700s - 800s rwhp.

Welcome Kim.. you didnt sound snobby to me! :)

Yeah, better suspension and tyres are the most critial factors to a Supra putting the power down. A lot of people who go for silly high power then cruise around on 19s will never be able to put it down properly.

Check out Supraforums in the US, you'll see a lot of owners driving around on 16 inch wheels and ET Streets to accompany their massive BHP.

Sorry, I did NOT want to sound snobby (I blame it on my poor english if it came out that way). I was just curious why so many pros advice new Supra owners who wanna go single to aim for the 500s instead of +700whp...

Many apologies from me then. How small do I feel now!

Anyway, I hope you get your answer, and carry on enjoying the club. :)

Do 16" wheels fit over US/UK spec brakes then? I didn't think they would.

That wouldnt be 16s at the front would it.

Anyway, a setup like this is what I had in mind.

http://www.bobandapril.com/gallery2/d/5813-2/drag+pack+009.jpg

700rwhp are for mostly dyno queens .... a nicely setup 500-600hp will distroy almost every car on the road , who needs 700...

i have no traction issues on my setup , i dont have TRD LSD/ RTLC . The car has been setup nicely, i run semi slicks. This is based on every day drive and the occational WOT . on a drag strip , i do have issues , but only in first .. just need to learn how to drive ..

700rwhp are for mostly dyno queens .... a nicely setup 500-600hp will distroy almost every car on the road , who needs 700...

i have no traction issues on my setup , i dont have TRD LSD/ RTLC . The car has been setup nicely, i run semi slicks. This is based on every day drive and the occational WOT . on a drag strip , i do have issues , but only in first .. just need to learn how to drive ..

Well said! who needs RLTC!!!!!!!!!! from a dyno Queen that is........

My car is very drivable and you certainly have a kick up the bum when you need it thats with the T88.......... each too there own....P.S I am no expert just like driving my car quickly.....;)

I don't agree, the RLTC certains helps a lot to get traction, mine will spin the wheels in first and second on part throttle when the power comes in and spins in 3rd at WOT.

I don't agree, the RLTC certains helps a lot to get traction, mine will spin the wheels in first and second on part throttle when the power comes in and spins in 3rd at WOT.

I was only talking from a personal point of view not a professional one.........and personally don't like it....but each to there own....and some will find benefit and others like me dyno queens won't.

Doesn't the fact that going with '700hp with traction/launch control' just prove the point that with that sort of power you may not be able to get traction effectively? If you fit RLTC, this cuts injector signal to hold the car back. i.e. it reduces the hp being put out by the car to a more manageable level anyway?

I appreciate that it is possible to use big hp at higher speeds, but I'm afraid I won't use my car at 140mph on public roads.

Lets say the major percentage of spirited driving takes place between speeds of 50-90 mph Thats just one gear in an auto.

The way my t67 is set up: R888 or MT streets on the back with a fast road suspension 1.4-5 bar on the road unless its raining:)

Being an auto I switch off the the O/D and I'm set. I have no traction control and 500 rwhp. Above 40 on decent roads with sticky rubber its possible to accelerate hard without breaking traction.

With standard road tyre's putting your foot down at 70 on the m way could get the tyres spinning. Unless i was A pro racing driver i'd not manage to stay on the road for long on the twisties but its still way more fun than bpu! B road driving is just great when its setup properly. No lag co's you're on song above 3000rpm's, put your fo0t down and drive on the powerband . Combine that with a good road and youre in driving heaven:)

It doesnt mean I'd turn down a go in a true 600+whp B road drive though.:D

On the straights I'd gladly take the extra power of a big tubbie, for all of the 4 or 5 seconds length of road that power would give me !

Basically it comes down to the choice of road or track or drag car.

I think what i'm trying to say is, the car does all of these thing quite well with 500-550 rwhp and without doubt, a better car than I am a driver.

If you could get the car to have a powercurve the same or better than at67 with 700+whp then it might be a different matter:)

My car is very drivable and you certainly have a kick up the bum when you need it thats with the T88.......... each too there own....P.S I am no expert just like driving my car quickly.....;)

Its a nice drive your car, i rekon that T88 has had some work cause it dont spool to bad for a big lump, i was having a play on saturday night on the a34 and she dont arf fly:D thanks for lending me her;)

One thing ive noticed is that some of the bigger turbos come on smoother and traction is not such an issue, with the Gt4088 it hits in very hard and low and i get a fair amount of wheel spin with it but i like that driving style so it dont bother me.:)

One thing ive noticed is that some of the bigger turbos come on smoother and traction is not such an issue, with the Gt4088 it hits in very hard and low and i get a fair amount of wheel spin with it but i like that driving style so it dont bother me.:)

Bigger Single turbos take longer to spool, power therefor is smoother and more linear and thus better traction than smaller single turbos, which spool quicker and break traction easier.

Doesn't the fact that going with '700hp with traction/launch control' just prove the point that with that sort of power you may not be able to get traction effectively? If you fit RLTC, this cuts injector signal to hold the car back. i.e. it reduces the hp being put out by the car to a more manageable level anyway?

I appreciate that it is possible to use big hp at higher speeds, but I'm afraid I won't use my car at 140mph on public roads.

Since I live in Germany and a large part of the Autobahn is "frei fahrt" = unlimted speed (or recommended speed as I usually tell the police when they pull me over) you will be surprised how many folks who are running WOT.

I usually cruise at 200km/h (125 mph) from Frankfurt to Düsseldorf and rather often I get passed by bloody BMW/Mercedez/Audi/VW diesels!!!

The roads in Germany allows for either very slow speed (city traffic, etc) or very high speed which is quite different from where I grew up (Sweden) and probably different from the UK as well.

But from a UK point of view I certainly understand what you all are saying.

That wouldnt be 16s at the front would it.

Anyway, a setup like this is what I had in mind.

[qimg]http://www.bobandapril.com/gallery2/d/5813-2/drag+pack+009.jpg[/qimg]

Looks nice. I like the orginal Supra alloys so if 16 inch is the best way to go (traction wise) maybe I can just widen them to 11 inches. Going to research that a bit more before bothering you with more questions!