The mkiv Supra Owners Club

hesitant on 2nd turbo since 2nd decat?

spaxy

took car for a good clearout today since i fitted my 2nd de cat pipe on thursday,and it seemed to hold back/surge when 2nd turbo came on with full throttle,i got out and had a look under bonnet all ok,and looked at exhaust it did smell a bit sulphurey as if a misfire may have happened,i still have 1st cat in with hks supperdragger system and apexi intakeany suggestions please,do i need different plugs?

not sure mate was hanging on for dear life,its the first time its done it tho,held back,cleared,surged well strange.im going to put some denso pk20r11 in and try it.

As said, it sound like you need a cooler grade of plugs.

Do you not have a boost gauge fitted? If you decat then it is essential that you know what boost you are making, if you're overboosting you could destroy the turbos and the engine.

make sure you have a Restrictor Ring in otherwise you could be overboosting, I had this with mine before I fitted one, boostcontroller beeped a lot...had to lay off the throttle until I got one, which was probably a good thing as I'd only just got it.

If you don't you could be making too much boost and knacker your turbo's. As for checking what boost it's doing I find it very hard to check the reading whilst holding on for dear life....:blink:

thanks bud,but i thought you only needed a restrictor ring if you take both cats out,i fabricated my own 2nd decat just to see if it would be louder,im hoping to go fully b.p.u later in the year,i didnt realise the 2nd cat removal would raise the boost level.

but i thought you only needed a restrictor ring if you take both cats out,i

Generally that's right but some cars seem to overboost with just the one out and an aftermarket end pipe. And conversely some don't overboost with both removed (like mine)!

Guest Geneb
yeah mate got a hks one,i thought that just by taking the 2nd cat out dont make all that much difference boost wise? will try plugs,and have a look at what boost is.

i just fitted the second decat and im getting 1 bar boost no ring:D

traffic was terribler on way homegave it one blast nearly 1.0 bar. hope this will be a safe running figure.i will give it a proper test on the way to the jap performance show next sunday.thanks for you advise lads.appriciated!