The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Stubby aerial Power question

DamanC

Just a quick one guys, the stubby aerial is on :)

Trouble is, the red wire needs to be connected to a power source. Trouble is, i havent got a clue where to start :(

I see a green and red wire in a plug that connect to the orginal aerial, can i use one of them?

mnghghghgh electronics :(

you can use that red wire Daman but it's only 12v live for 10seconds at a time.

I fitted mine yesterday and used the black wire from the boot light as suggested by Carlos

Hope you don't mind me using your picture Carlos ?

I did that too, but I'm now wondering if it's going to flatten my battery because that particular source is always live!

Any thoughts? :search:

Cheers guys :)

Was rather amusing as i decided to use the existing timed live wire. As you can imagine on it came, great reception and then 10 seconds later........oh :(

Wire it upto the boot light in the end, aerial is probably better than my stocker too, which i was suprised to find :)

Only outstanding thing I have is the same question as HeyRick, is it going to flatten my battery or kill the antenta over time with it being constantly live?

Hi mate,

Mine had the red wire BUT before I realised that it was there I ran an ignition live to the boot off of the stereo. Just a long loop that goes all the way to the boot and back again.

I just wanted it so I could have a play with some other bits that I never got round to fitting but I just ran it through the centre console and under the rear seats.

It only took about 20mins to do but it might be a solution if you dont want to use the boot light.

I did that too, but I'm now wondering if it's going to flatten my battery because that particular source is always live!

Any thoughts? :search:

My battery is shite, and this hasn't had any impact on it at all.

I notice when I open the boot that the radio goes all fuzzy, so I do wonder if it's bordering on not-enough power (current) (i.e. would I get even better reception with a proper 12v feed?).

The only definate downside is that the aerial amplifier is designed with something like a 25yr life in mind, based on average usage per day. It it's on 24/7 then that life is dramatically decreased (to something like 5yrs from what the supplier said).