The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Polishing........

Suprash

Prob something Colin could answer but Im sure some of you would also have some first hand experience at this......

My polished pipe work and cam covers went funny :( Let me explain, I left the Supra parked at my mums for a week while I was waiting for new shocks. When I lifted the bonnet it looked like a dust disease had taken over on my polished pipe work, loads of little formations of particles building up, thats the only way I could describe it really, sandy in colour. Anyway after spending hours with a metal polisher I managed to remove most of the markings off the polished pipe work, but my cam covers seem to be stained from this stuff, leaving what looks like dried water rings marks that just wont cut out....

Maybe my metal cutter isnt abbraisive enough, its the autoseal stuff I think, In a tube form......

But what is this annoying stuff, will I get it everytime I let the car stand, or was it more prob from my mums place.........:blink:

Have you got a vented bonnet Ash ?

Water spots and salt cause this oxidation to happen although not sandy in colour :blink: , they attack the Aluminium and cause the powdering you describe. The best way to protect things is to add a wax after cleaning with a good metal polish, this should reduce the effect.

What wax and where from.............

Sounds like the same stuff though, no vented bonnet, but glad the car wasnt left any longer as it just about came off the pipe work, as I said the cam covers are stained now though......

What polish would you advise for general cleaning and detailing, and what polish could you recommend for a tougher take on things........ :cool:

Autosol is normall fairly abrasive.

I would say get "Brilliant" i recommend the "Auto 3 pack" it has a chrome / hot environment cleaner a metal restorer and an aluminium / stainless polish.

see here: CLICK

If your feeling flush also get the "premium metal polish to finish things off with, this should protect the metal.

I tend to use a carnauba wax after i have polished parts as it goes on clear and adds a water proof layer.