The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Impact Bar?

madmunky

Can anyone tell me if its standard to have a what i would call an Impact Bar on the front of the supra, Basicly I have one and I had a Top secret bumper which i smashed up so decided to get a Do-Luck but this Impact Bar is stopping the Do-Luck from being fitted. Basicly trying to find out if its standard on the supra or if someone has fitted it afterwards so i can take it off or if i need to cut around it.

I've attached a pic and the red part is where i have the impact bar on mine (dont have any pics of it sorry)

surpa.jpg

It is standard to have an impact bar yes, I'm surprised the aftermarket bumpers weren’t designed with such an important part of the car in mind.

Its only there to stop the radiator/slam panels being damaged in a low speed accident/knocks, in a 'real' accident it does bugger all.

Its not the strongest item, but from all the damaged cars i have seen its usually the one without the bar that has the most damage, as this bar helps to tie in both chassis legs...

Its only there to stop the radiator/slam panels being damaged in a low speed accident/knocks, in a 'real' accident it does bugger all.

Guest gzaerojon
Its not the strongest item, but from all the damaged cars i have seen its usually the one without the bar that has the most damage, as this bar helps to tie in both chassis legs...

my theory is that it could cause more damage with it in place than if it was removed.

lets say you hit a post head on, surly when the crash bar bends it will pull both chassis legs towards the centre? but with the crash bar removed it will only cause damage to the rad and front of the engine, cheaper to repair imo

just a theory though, but it's always difficult to work out how parts would stand up in the event of a crash, i've seen damage on cars from low speed crashes and they sometimes look worse the higher speed crashes.

I think Jody has a point that it offers a very small protection to the chassis legs - however thats not the reason it's there.

It's only 4mm alu in a weak box section so will deform long before the *very* strong chassic leg will feel any pressure from a front end smack. That said, if there is a significant impact (above 15-20mph), the crash bar will completely collapse and transfer forces to the leg itself.

It adds a degree of protection, but it's only really there for very minor bumps. If you have a real front on smash (above 20mph or so) its useless.

It adds a degree of protection, but it's only really there for very minor bumps. If you have a real front on smash (above 20mph or so) its useless.

Yeah, as I understand it it's there to stop the rad getting damaged and immobilising the car in small bumps mainly.