The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Flying Supra

Glosphil

Was driving through Loughborough tonight, and was approaching a rise in the road. My mate was signalling with his hand an up and over kind of gesture, so I thought he meant shoot over it.

What he meant to say is "Steep bridge careful"

Needless to say I went up it too fast and the supra became airbourne all 4 wheels.

My life flashed before me and then I nearly cried as I landed hoping my new exhuast and everything else was ok.

No damage, car is fine thankfully.

Never flewn a car before, it was an experience lol

Way to go, way to go.... :)

Woah, he defo got airbourne there. Thats what you get for "Moving out of the slipstream on the Toyota..."

Maybe Toyota should use that clip in an advert campaign.....

"The Car In Front Is A Toyota.......which is of extreme importance of the car behind it stays that way!"

:)

Wasn't there a racetrack that actually had an area called the flying pint or something? I dimly remember it from the late 70s/early 80s. I can recall seeing an F1 car doing the same as the car in Chris' video. It may have been in South Africa.

Any ideas?

Chilli, and anyone else living near Burgess Hill, Sussex, may know of this, but years ago on the Ditchling Road between Worlds End (Burgess Hill) and Ditchling village, you used to be able to drive on a relatively straight piece of open road up to and over a railway hump-backed bridge.

If you reached around 60-70mph (in my Astra SRi) over the bridge you could definitely catch some 'air' before landing still on the road after relatively safely. It was great fun!

Shame they built a roundabout just before it (mid 90s), cos it was entertaining on the way to work every day with a little 'lift' in the mornings!

It used to give me that weird sensation in the pit of my stomach when you feel like you're falling. Lovely! :)

I think the bridge near to Balcombe Viaduct (Sussex) still has that jumping potential. Dangerous, but I'm sure many have tried it!

It was Christian Fittipaldi in Monza 1993 :cool:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g432gGn2Ljs

Mike

Wasn't there a racetrack that actually had an area called the flying pint or something? I dimly remember it from the late 70s/early 80s. I can recall seeing an F1 car doing the same as the car in Chris' video. It may have been in South Africa.

Any ideas?

there's a stretch of road just coming into the village where my parents stay in the borders that's like that AndrewOW.

Not a bridge as such as it's considerably higher at one end so if you're heading towards the higher end it's easy to get airborn at anything over 60 as you say...just have to make sure the car's straight! (hit it too fast once and took of at an angle....scared the shit outta myself),

Coming the other way you don't get airborn but you go over the crest and down a large drop....gives the most stomach churning feeling i've ever experience while driving.

Was that the bridge near the railway station and Brush.

LOL! Would have loved to see that.

I went to uni at Lufbra.... just after said hump, is where i missed the red light and went through a brand new BMW with my landrover :D

Not surprised you took off, its a hell of a humped back bridge!

is the one you are thinking of on one of the very first Havoc videos, I can remember one which is in germany where the cars are going over a very yumpy curcuit it from maybe the late 60's early 70's?

From memory, the track looked like it was in a warm country. The car that went airborne had moved to overtake another car. As the went over a rise the overtaking car flipped up into the air. They may have just gone under a footbridge.