The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Nur Spec and the Law

supraman382

Just wondering where you stand with the law when you have a Nur fitted. Emmision came through fine and I had my baffle in for MOT but recently got pulled and the cops said that they are handing out £30 fixed penalty fines for exhausts that arnt standard?!?

Fair enough if it was decatted and the emmisions are too high or perhaps if the decibel level is broken, but surely not for it been aftermarket???

Out of curiosity has anyone had there Nur tested for noise level (cats still in place, no other mods) what were the results, still legal??

Thanks

That's a load of rubbish mate. There's no way they can give you a fine for having an aftermarket exhaust fitted! Exhaust companies would go out of business :D They can fine you for your exhaust being too loud though. 'Failure to maintain an exhaust' is the charge i think & i recall a member on here being fined. They were probably trying to scare you!

Not sure about the Nur Spec noise levels but it's a very popular exhaust so i think there'd be a lot of posts about it if it was a problem. I wouldn't worry about emissions either if you still have the cats fitted. The exhaust doesn't make a massive difference to emissions, it's more of a noise thing. :)

Just wondering where you stand with the law when you have a Nur fitted. Emmision came through fine and I had my baffle in for MOT but recently got pulled and the cops said that they are handing out £30 fixed penalty fines for exhausts that arnt standard?!?

Fair enough if it was decatted and the emmisions are too high or perhaps if the decibel level is broken, but surely not for it been aftermarket???

Out of curiosity has anyone had there Nur tested for noise level (cats still in place, no other mods) what were the results, still legal??

Thanks

So did you get a fixed penalty ?

I havent yet but when they pulled me over I said I would be happy to get the noise level tested and then that's when they started saying their bosses had given them the 'power' to hand out the tickets to non standard exhausts.

I didn't play up I just said I had a baffel and would put that in. I did so and within a day it had been stolen (?) I just know they are going to pull me and ask why I had not used the baffel as suggested.

A friend got a ticket last night and was read his rights. He said he wasnt paying it as he had had the head of VOSA for the southwest come out and test it previously (again because police were hassling him and it was fine?!

Just wondered where I stand incase they do question me again.

I havent yet but when they pulled me over I said I would be happy to get the noise level tested and then that's when they started saying their bosses had given them the 'power' to hand out the tickets to non standard exhausts.

I didn't play up I just said I had a baffel and would put that in. I did so and within a day it had been stolen (?) I just know they are going to pull me and ask why I had not used the baffel as suggested.

A friend got a ticket last night and was read his rights. He said he wasnt paying it as he had had the head of VOSA for the southwest come out and test it previously (again because police were hassling him and it was fine?!

Just wondered where I stand incase they do question me again.

um...why have you nicked my ava? fart :p

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/member.php?u=1719

I think there is a legal noise limit set down in the Environmental Protection Act 1990.

For some reason diesels are legally allowed to make more noise that petrol engines :shrug: Surely if a car wakes you up in the early hours, it's irrelevant whether it's diesel or petrol...

That's for drive by noise homologation, which is something manufacturers have to adhere to for production cars.

For aftermarket exhausts (and faulty ones) VOSA can come out with a sound level meter and take a reading of an individual car's static noise (the same as for race cars at race tracks). I don't know what the limit is, but if its over its a ticket!

You can't get a ticket for an after market exhaust without it failing the noise test.

Motorbikes are another matter as most aftermarket exhausts are marked 'Not for road use' as their exhausts have to be stamped with homologation numbers to ensure they meet the noise levels. If you're caught with one marked not for road use you can get a ticket without a noise test AFAIK.

For aftermarket exhausts (and faulty ones) VOSA can come out with a sound level meter and take a reading of an individual car's static noise (the same as for race cars at race tracks). I don't know what the limit is, but if its over its a ticket!

You can't get a ticket for an after market exhaust without it failing the noise test.

Thats helpful thanks, they were fine in chatting to me and said they recognised the car and really liked it, they know I dont drive it a lot and when I do dont cause any problems.

Im not going to use the info to throw back in their face I just want to be able to get it tested before coughing up for a ticket I may not deserve.

According to my friend the test has to be done in an open space with the noise meter been held 25 inces away at ground level tilting at 45 degrees towards the exhaust. He said he also argued when they were going to test it at WOT as he said that 5th gear doing 70 mph was only about 3000 rpm, they caved and tested it at that also :)

may be a few reasons...

1) not insured for it...

2) if it sticks out past the rear bumper more than 15 cm (i think thats the length)

3) there is a DB limit for the road, but its not standard equipment for a policeman/traffic cop to have.

Hope this helps, most probs 2 IMO

Sounds like you have some over-zealous young coppers down in Cornwall mate. I'd ignore them - they'll get fed up and find some chavs to hassle when you don't bite.

Probably right, they were nice enough about it. At least now I have a bit of ammunition if they come back again.

There is a limit to the noise an aftermarket exhaust can make, but I can't remember what that limit is. I remember there is a regulation that you can't alter the vehicles exhaust system to make the noise of the escaping gasses louder. (this would be buried somewhere in the Construction and Use Regulations)

I seem to remember something from a couple of years back that all exhaust silencers should carry an 'E' mark and some sort of ISO or BS number that shows it conforms to the UK/EU regulations on this sort of thing. If it doesn't have this mark on it it is not considered road legal. (But don't take this as gospel - it's just something I seem to remember hearing a while back)

The following is the answer given in 2004 by the then Secretary of State for Transport to a question asked in Parliament:

Mr. Jamieson: Only new cars are subject to maximum noise limits. However, Regulation 54 of the Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986 does set minimum requirements for the maintenance of exhaust systems and silencers for cars, and other vehicles, in use. This requires that they be fitted with a silencer, that the silencer is maintained in good and efficient working order and has not been altered so as to increase noise. The Regulations also make it an offence to use a car in such a manner as to cause excessive noise that could have been avoided by the exercise of reasonable care on the part of the driver. It is likely that a straight-through exhaust, whether used on a customised car or any other vehicle, would be in breach of this requirement. Enforcement, however, is a matter for the police.