The mkiv Supra Owners Club

N/a T

Golddigga

All,

I have read several threads regarding the N/A T conversion with a kit costing £4,000 through to a Boostwerx kit costing $1,700!

My question is on my stock N/A I would like to increase the power but no go silly - i.e. stay within the confines of the standard N/A engine.

Eventually I want to buy a Twin T but for now advice on the N/A T conversion would be welcome. Should have mentioned my N/A is a 5 speed manual!

Thanks,

Chris.

Sorry, what was your question?

All,

I have read several threads regarding the N/A T conversion with a kit costing £4,000 through to a Boostwerx kit costing $1,700!

My question is on my stock N/A I would like to increase the power but no go silly - i.e. stay within the confines of the standard N/A engine.

Eventually I want to buy a Twin T but for now advice on the N/A T conversion would be welcome. Should have mentioned my N/A is a 5 speed manual!

Thanks,

Chris.

You should forget about Boostwerx N/A-T kit - it is poor quality kit.

I've read quite a few threads as well. I think to go n/a T as well as turbo, you need head gasket changed, clutch, possibly gear box and a few other bits. Add all these parts up plus labour its going to be expensive.

Sell yours and get a TT, would be cheaper.

I've read quite a few threads as well. I think to go n/a T as well as turbo, you need head gasket changed, clutch, possibly gear box and a few other bits. Add all these parts up plus labour its going to be expensive.

Sell yours and get a TT, would be cheaper.

You need only proper N/A-T kit and new, stronger clutch (up to 0.5 bar ~350BHP, good value for money). If you need more power you have to change headgasket + head studs , piggy back, gauges and injectors (up to 450BHP, more expensive option). If it is still not enough power for you, you have swap gearbox for 6 speed or reinforce your 5 speed box (v. expensive).

All,

Thanks,

Chris.

Budget at least £10K for parts, supporting mods and labour to go have a 'reliable' NA-T conversion.

NA-T kit

Fuel injectors

Fuel Pump

Fuel Rail and fittings

Fuel Pressure Regulator

ECU and mapping

Plugs

Clutch

Thicker head gasket or ideally replacement pistons to lower compression

Boost controller

Boost gauge

EGT gauge

AFR gauge

Fuel pressure gauge

etc.

IF and its a big to non existant IF...........i went NA-T i'd be tempted to get a electric oil pump to supply the cheapo oil cooled only turbo that i'd get.......

....this way you could revert the car easily back to stock and maybe even play around with thinner lubricants for the turbo bearing? but the main thing for me would be that there would be no tapping for oil feed and return lines with the chance of swarf getting everywhere.........

Cheap turbo's and manifolds shouldn't cause any real running problems just may (will) not last so long and be harder to fit (which may render them more costly in the long run!). If you had an independant oil feed to the turbo and a manifold and a down pipe that mated to the stock 2nd cat flange, then a blown turbo or any other problem means a few bolts and connectors and you could be running back as a stock NA whilst you source parts or address the current problem.

I'd only consider this for low boost, stock injectors (poss slightly upgraded), head gasket etc setup.

Once you start going, thicker head gasket etc it starts to get expensive and other options need serious consideration.

I'd also like to see someone with a NA get a good AFR guage setup and record info or at least monitor this whilst still a regular NA.........then you could potentially self tune the NA-T with a SAFC with at least some knowledge of what stock AFR's are at various throttle openings and RPM's........

Unless i'm mistaken, good AFR's and avoiding Det are the main thing for fueling and will see you keep your engine from melting at least............

All this is just me thinking (dangerous) out loud, prepared to be shot down/corrected as i've tried to make sense of what i've picked up from here and sometimes there is conflicting info or i may have misinterpreted things..........

What is your goal mate?

I was looking at 360bhp - 400bhp.

turbofit quoted me 4.5k for the basic install-- ask gaz hes had it done

Yep, got a quote from Sam when I was at the TurboFit bbq a few weeks back.

can't remember how much extra it was for the fuelling etc if you wanted to run more power though?

The plan for me is to have an extra 2K spare in case they come across any worn parts/problems while doing the conversion.

TT conversion Jeff, ask Jezz for a lump :)

The thought had crossed my mind Mark I must admit.

Already got the six speed gearbox so I'm assuming it would be a case of matching it all up (this is assuming that the N/A six speed is different from the TT six speed)

Then once i had the engine sorted upgrade from there with the left over cash :)

What i'll probably do is just get as much money saved as possible and come the end of the year make a decision on what I'm gonna do.