The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Who rolled ther sup?

black cat

It was me. I'm OK, the worst injury was a tiny cut to the top of my ear! I can't believe how lucky I was to get out in one piece - these cars must be incredibly strong. My friend who was following me in a Jag S Type R reckoned I was a gonner for sure! Thanks for your concerns everyone it's been a tough evening.

Sean.

Came down the slip road to join the motorway and hit a big patch of standing water, the next thing I know I'm going sideways. Gave it full opposite lock and immediatley dropped the clutch and tried to get some grip back through the rear wheels. Just as I'm getting somewhere I run out of road, shoot up a very steep embankment where the front end digs in and I go airborne and roll approx four or five times. Bye bye my beautiful car...

are supra's that bad with puddles?, how fast were you going?. i dont think im gonna last long when i get my surpa since it rains every day here

I was doing about 50 - 60Mph and was accelerating very carefuly as there was so much rain coming down. If anything it must have just hit 4000rpm and immediatly sent the backend out. It all happened so quickly!

are supra's that bad with puddles?, how fast were you going?. i dont think im gonna last long when i get my surpa since it rains every day here

Im sorry to be the one to say this, but its not the cars fault, these things are usually driver error, like hitting the 4k band, of course its going to do funny things on a bend in the wet when your torque is nearly doubled............;)

Just cause the Supra hits a puddle doesnt automatically mean its going to slip out, there are usually another 3 or 4 factors that determin this........

I did your thread dude the other day, and its never nice to read of these threads, and seeing your pictures, she did hold up well, the center beam looks like it can take a lot...... ;)

Hope you get another soon.....

Im sorry to be the one to say this, but its not the cars fault, these things are usually driver error, like hitting the 4k band, of course its going to do funny things on a bend in the wet when your torque is nearly doubled............;)

QUOTE]

I've never heard of it being the cars fault unless it's a mechanical malfunction! I never said it was the cars fault and your right if you are going to drive a big power rear wheel drive car in the pissing rain then you can expect some difficult situations if you are not careful. The fact is that it doesn't take an awful lot of throttle pedal to chuck the back end out when going through a mass of standing water. I've driven big power rear wheel drive cars for the last fifteen years so I generaly know what to expect this time however I was caught out.

My advice to anyone is if you've never owned a car like this before then get it on a track and find out it's limitations in a safe enviroment and then you will have an idea on how it will react in certain situations. What I don't advise is driving a 400bhp plus super car in torential rain as if you're not careful you may get unlucky! People may think that I was ragging the arse of the car but that just isn't the way I drive on the road plus I'd spent all day at Bruntingthorpe so I kinda got all that out my system by the time I'd left to go home.

Thanks Suprash I hope to be back in the fold soon, I'm allready looking for a replacement...... now where did I put Jurgens phone number....:)

Sorry dude, I thought you might take that a personally, I only stepped in because of what Damz posted "are Supra's really that bad when they hit puddle", and thats all I was trying to explain, its not the car or the fact that its hit a puddle, well not primarily anyway......

Hope to read a 'got my baby back' thread soon dude..... ;)

You'll also find that stupidly wide tyres contribute to traction loss on deep standing water. I effectively floated my aristo on the m20-m25 changeover/slip road going onto the M25. There was deep water, I saw it coming and was only doing about 45-50 mph when I saw it. I didn't brake as instinctively I knew it would slide. When I went on top of the water all 4 wheels effectively floated on top of the water and I just skated with no control whatsoever on the car. Narrower tyred cars cut through water like that alot better. If you are on the power when you hit deep enough water to swamp the tyre treads no matter if you are schumacher you won't get chance to do anything about it. Where you end up aftwerwards is firmly in the hands of the gods.

QUOTE]

I've never heard of it being the cars fault unless it's a mechanical malfunction! I never said it was the cars fault and your right if you are going to drive a big power rear wheel drive car in the pissing rain then you can expect some difficult situations if you are not careful. The fact is that it doesn't take an awful lot of throttle pedal to chuck the back end out when going through a mass of standing water. I've driven big power rear wheel drive cars for the last fifteen years so I generaly know what to expect this time however I was caught out.

My advice to anyone is if you've never owned a car like this before then get it on a track and find out it's limitations in a safe enviroment and then you will have an idea on how it will react in certain situations. What I don't advise is driving a 400bhp plus super car in torential rain as if you're not careful you may get unlucky! People may think that I was ragging the arse of the car but that just isn't the way I drive on the road plus I'd spent all day at Bruntingthorpe so I kinda got all that out my system by the time I'd left to go home.

Thanks Suprash I hope to be back in the fold soon, I'm allready looking for a replacement...... now where did I put Jurgens phone number....:)

I totally agree with that. Ive got an N/A and its my first rear wheel drive car. It snowed like hell when I first had it and have driven it in awefull rain and it always behaved but after a bit of rain after the dry spell the other week on a corner i know very well i lost the back end, spinning and wrecking my bumper. It wasnt the cars fault and i was only doing about 40 mph (just touched the accelorator to soon) but if you're not carefull you can get caught out. A track day is a great place to learn and am definately thinking about that. Having said that though everything has been going swimmingly since. Touch wood.

Sorry dude, I thought you might take that a personally, I only stepped in because of what Damz posted "are Supra's really that bad when they hit puddle", and thats all I was trying to explain, its not the car or the fact that its hit a puddle, well not primarily anyway......

Hope to read a 'got my baby back' thread soon dude..... ;)

Sorry if I came over a bit sharp, I honestly wasn't trying to have a go at you, I am just still pissed off about the whole thing!

I agree with what you say about it not being the cars fault and there are lots of factors involved. I really appreciate everyones support on here including yours. :)

Sorry if I came over a bit sharp, I honestly wasn't trying to have a go at you, I am just still pissed off about the whole thing!

I agree with what you say about it not being the cars fault and there are lots of factors involved. I really appreciate everyones support on here including yours. :)

No need to apologise mate, its all understandable......... ;)