The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Baffle for Exhaust ? HKS units ?

Sharpie

Does anyone know the difference in baffles shown here ?

My HKS Hi-Power has a back box with a tip internal Diameter of 115mm using a Helix school/office type ruler.

So, looking here: http://www.hks-power.co.jp/products/exhaust/muffler/parts/muffler_parts.html

There are two types each with the unit/model number of 120 which, will fit my ID 115mm.

But, why have a long one and a short one ?

Good idea....try and understand the text, looking at the table below the drawings, the first column with the mm size and a little text after it:

For φ120 high power tail - 3306-RA071

For φ120 [doratsugateru] - 3306-RA074

Hmmmm

Putting a restrictor in the exhaust, just small enough to control boost on engines with overly small wastegates, isn't so bad, but adding further restriction to control noise is madness. Noise should be controlled by bigger silencers, or more silencers, or more efficient silencers. Ramming a bung in the tailpipe is about as crude as it gets, noise control wise, and can lead to sky high cylinder head and valve temps. If you want a quiet system with little restriction the Tanabe range has a superb system. i fitted one to Rush's car, and I am getting one for my Skyline, I was that impressed by it.

I hear you Chris but, when I bought my HKS Hiper from yourself in 2002, track days were not in my thoughts...the exhaust is in good condition so, I don't really want to buy a track day only exhaust.....but, I don't want high temps either.......arrrrh :)

:hijack:

Chris: Did you ever hear about 2nd decat pipe with silencer/resonator? I'm asking because i have got fitted HKS Hyper Titanium (it's very loud exhaust after decat) and i don't want to use baffle (or buy new exhaust).

Regards

Tomasz

Another :hijack:

Chris... can you just confirm you got my PM and will let me know this week.

Cheers

G

Give me a bell on 07971-952084 office hours please, I am way behind with PM's 10 so far, not sure when / if I'll get round to them, I am supposed to be making big strides with Pete Sharpes engine this week :)

:hijack:

Chris: Did you ever hear about 2nd decat pipe with silencer/resonator? I'm asking because i have got fitted HKS Hyper Titanium (it's very loud exhaust after decat) and i don't want to use baffle (or buy new exhaust).

Regards

Tomasz

No, one could be made up though. Why buy a (very expensive) loud, lightweight exhaust only to then want to buy an extra silencer...???? I wouldn't want to do one, you need a good exhaust fabricators and give them the 2nd cat as a pattern.

No, one could be made up though. Why buy a (very expensive) loud, lightweight exhaust only to then want to buy an extra silencer...????

I didn't buy my HKS HT. I want to do a full decat, but i don't want too loud exhaust :(

I wouldn't want to do one, you need a good exhaust fabricators and give them the 2nd cat as a pattern.

I know good exhaust fabricator but in Poland. I will go to Poland in September but i need it now ;)

Give me a bell on 07971-952084 office hours please, I am way behind with PM's 10 so far, not sure when / if I'll get round to them, I am supposed to be making big strides with Pete Sharpes engine this week :)

Will do....

Thanks Chris.

G

OK Chris, I don't want to buy a new exhaust as it's in good condition and I like it for road use. However, I'm not sure that I will pass any DbA testing at the track.

So, if I fitted one of these http://www.apexi-usa.com/product_exhaust_detail.asp?id=251&pageNum=1

I hope I could get through the test but, then leave it fully open while on the track...best of both worlds ?

OR how strict are they at the track once the initial test has been done ?????