The mkiv Supra Owners Club

I give up

paul_y3k

for those that know me, the few years of supra ownership have not been the smoothest. After about a year of ownership the first turbo gave up, so the car went to Totally Custom to sort out, and after talking to nick, we decided to go single. Well after about 5 months Nick decided to close the business and when i finally recovered the car it was to find only a third of the engine where it was meant to be.

So after a couple of months of phonecalls, it went to Thor to rebuild. They had it for quite a long while (not surprising given the amount of work needed) and i eventually got it back . a nice single turbo supra.

well a little while later and it's with Mkiv, for rltc fitting - during which time the engincve gives out. So yet more expense but in goes a rebuilt engine and all is well.

Until about 3 weeks ago, during a drive from swindon to ipswich the heater matrix goes and dumps coolant on all the electrics. que lots of missing and zero drivabilty. Car goes to Swindon on the back of the AA truck, then upto Jody in Bristol.

Jody's taken a look and after drying the car out it's still missing. The spark plugs are looking crap and the one on cyl6 has lost all the ceramics. So lots of det happening there.

So we're going to try a new set of plugs to see if it fixes the missing problem, but there's obvisly something wrong to be causing the issue. From talking to Jody it could be the map, or something more serise in the engine which would mean breaking the head rebuilding, (Jody feel free to correct me Im sure Im mis qouting you) and frankly I've had enough now. I cant keep throwing money into this car.

So the question is ... what shall i do with it ? Shall I put it on ebay as an unfinished single project ? or just try and sell it off to some chav and leg it. :(

looks look it's a ford fiesta for me from now on lol

Sorry to hear of your problems Paul, I know exactly how you must feel. I was all ready to strip mine for parts when my engine injested one of the turbos.

Before making a decision find out exactly what is wrong, it could be something minor hopefully. You'll then be able to make a decision based on cost of getting it running again.

Good luck!

Feel sorry for you mate!! Your options are pretty clear.

Either have the determination ande finances to get the car right and really enjoy it.......;)

Keep the car in your garden. Fill the interior with soil and have the best looking flower pot in the town.......:D

Don't sell it to a chav!!:( Either sell it as an unfinished project and get an NA.

Either way I hope you get it sorted mate, it's posts like these that make me realise that my decision to go for a slower, more reliable car was the right one!

H.

Sell it and buy an NA!

No, seriously, sorry to hear about all the hassle you've had. Silver lining? Surely you'll reach a point where nothing else can go wrong? Maybe.

:looney:

well thats what i thought about a year ago, but i just seems to be one thing after another.

Sorry to hear of your problems Paul, I know exactly how you must feel. I was all ready to strip mine for parts when my engine injested one of the turbos.

Before making a decision find out exactly what is wrong, it could be something minor hopefully. You'll then be able to make a decision based on cost of getting it running again.

Good luck!

nice to know it's not just me, but ive just got to the point where I am fed up of throwing money at it, for it to then go wrong again. it's going to cost me to even work out whats wrong, let alone fix it :S

I would look for a mint stock twin engine and go from there and leave it BPU :) I know thats more money, but in the long run it should be way more reliable

lol from a single to a twin ! that's interesting conversion. However like i said i want out. my own thoughts are basically spend more money and something else will go wrong later.

I'm going to ebay it as an unfinshed project i think.

Unless anyone here wants to make me an offer lol

lol from a single to a twin ! that's interesting conversion. However like i said i want out. my own thoughts are basically spend more money and something else will go wrong later.

I'm going to ebay it as an unfinshed project i think.

Unless anyone here wants to make me an offer lol

Good luck on ebay. Maybe start listing the valuable parts on here you'll make more money in the long run or list the whole car here...:)

spec is :

Greddy 3 Row FMIC

Greddy Top Hose with Temp probe fitted

Sound Performance Manifold

Sound Performance T61 Turbo

Blitz 650CC injectors

Trail Wastegate

HKS SSQV Blow Off Valve

HKS 2mm 'Stopper type' MHG

ARP Head Bolt Kit

Sound Performance Induction Kit

Fluidyne Dual Core Radiator

Flexalite Electric Fans

Envy Transmission fluid Cooler

Tien Type HA Coilovers

18" Advan Super Alloys

KAD 6pot front callipers

TRD pads

RSR Exhaust

Full decatt

HKS 256 Exhaust Cams

HKS 256 Inlet Cams

HKS Cam Gears

Hosetechniques Hose Set

Profec E-O1 Boost controller

Emanage ECU

Race Logic traction Control ??? possibly not working

Fields Harness

Full rebuilt engine

Plus lots of toyota belts an

You'll make more on the parts than selling as a whole.

But if you just want shot of it, it would make someone a fantastic project.

i've not got the room to break it down into bits lol and to be honest i've not got the know how as well.

but you're right it would make a fantastic project ! lol

Paul

Paul, I have replaced the plugs this morning, It has made the missfire alot better however, Something serious is wrong with the engine... It literally rattles on start up, Jason has looked and you can hear debris in the manifold, and it starts on 5 cylinders... The engine is dead mate... I dont know how far you want me to go into it, I know you dont want massive bills...

Give me a call, when you can...

Its a shame, its a nice car... But is does need some cash thrown at it... :(

It's the labour that's usually the killer...an engine can be picked up pretty cheaply as can the matrix...but getting to that Heater Matrix is a real PITA and swapping an engine isn't quick either!

This is when you really need to become a home mechanic...with a couple of mates.

Not doubting Interpro's work, but how the hell can a fully rebuilt engine die AGAIN?! Did the rebuild come with a waranty? Also, I doubt the Emanage is in particularly good health if it's been drowned in coolant ;)

Bob this engine wasnt built by Interpro.... Martin got it done somewhere.. I dont know where though I wasnt working for him at the time...

Either way its not good for Paul, It didnt help that the wireing is as most Supras are bad... and the water puddle was some 1.5 inch high, pretty much covering the ECUS!

However said that we do not belive the ECUs are playing up..

Not doubting Interpro's work, but how the hell can a fully rebuilt engine die AGAIN?! Did the rebuild come with a waranty? Also, I doubt the Emanage is in particularly good health if it's been drowned in coolant ;)