The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Polish or mopping?

charlton

In preperation for summer and the car shows what would be better value for money - baring in mind I want to enter into show & shine competitions

What sort of prices would I be looking at if I got it done professionaly and how long will the effect last?

In preperation for summer and the car shows what would be better value for money - baring in mind I want to enter into show & shine competitions

What sort of prices would I be looking at if I got it done professionaly and how long will the effect last?

There's athread here with a guy who does 62 stage job (mad) for about 500 notes. 1 - 3 years duration.

Dalton I think he was called.

I had a full mop AND polish for 700 with PL Carbodies but that included a bonnet respray. £400 should set you up nicely mate. ;)

how much?

I do um for around 50 lol perhaps i should put up my price

How much?? I have a mate who is a valeter and think he charges 20 for a mop plus about 60 for the full valet on top!

sorry but what is mopping, is it buffing with compound??

Yeah, you use an electric or air powered mop, basically a big foam pad on what looks like an angle grinder, and using various grades or cutting compound and lots of water, you cut back the top layer of paint, removes surface imperfections and swirl marks.

Results are amazing if done right, as good as new paint.

There's athread here with a guy who does 62 stage job (mad) for about 500 notes. 1 - 3 years duration.

Dalton I think he was called.

62 stages? What the hell can possibly take that many stages :blink: Full rub down to bare metal and full respray and lacquer perhaps ;)

I used to be a valeter for around 2 years before i started my last job.

I would start with a nice wash and dry claying if needed

Mask up all the rubber areas and light gaps etc

Start with a nice 4" pad with some farcela G3 and work allover the car or if its a bit warm outside, a panel at a time.

Buff all that off, then i use another farcela product but the product number is gone from my memory atm. on another 4" pad

Take some nice cloths and buff off then start with a good quality polish then a nice carnuba wax.. Products i use vary but ive got mostly meguires stuff as its easy to get hold of.

After buffing i usually wash again to get rid of all the dust and spin off

Around £10 a hour, usually a 5-7 hr job?

On scratches just some form of tcut, g3 or wet sand if its really bad with some 1600

I always thought my methods were ok, am i missing something? (not a dig, genuinly requesting more tips if ive missed somthing)

What £50 for a full power mopping..? How many grades on compound do you use..? Cause thats one hell of a good price..!!

I used to be a valeter for around 2 years before i started my last job.

I would start with a nice wash and dry claying if needed

Mask up all the rubber areas and light gaps etc

Start with a nice 4" pad with some farcela G3 and work allover the car or if its a bit warm outside, a panel at a time.

Buff all that off, then i use another farcela product but the product number is gone from my memory atm. on another 4" pad

Take some nice cloths and buff off then start with a good quality polish then a nice carnuba wax.. Products i use vary but ive got mostly meguires stuff as its easy to get hold of.

After buffing i usually wash again to get rid of all the dust and spin off

Around £10 a hour, usually a 5-7 hr job?

On scratches just some form of tcut, g3 or wet sand if its really bad with some 1600

I always thought my methods were ok, am i missing something? (not a dig, genuinly requesting more tips if ive missed somthing)

sounds like a good method and im sure the results would be well worth the money, I just went for the more pricey option lol, and got the whole car re painted :)

62 stages? What the hell can possibly take that many stages :blink: Full rub down to bare metal and full respray and lacquer perhaps ;)

I know mate seems ridiculous. But there's a couple of you tube vids of him at work and the attention to detail is mind blowing. He's got two Veyron owners waiting :blink: and I've just seen a pic of him doin' one of those 500k Maserati MC12 things. Phew.

Isn't that the bloke that did that new Astra VXR that was posted here a while back? Noticed his correction prices start at £75 per hour! And they average 9-16 hours! Dam :blink:

That's him. Oops I left a 0 off my original post, sorry £5000 about right..:blink:

im doing a full de swirl and valet on an impreza tomorrow £200.

for £20 dont bother g3 to abrasive i only use that on white vans

to anwer your original question , if the paintwork is in good condition , just polish will be ok , only need to mop a car if the paint is dull or swirled , and if its any werse than that its off to the sprayer

I'm looking to spend under a ton and I've been quoted £50/60 for mopping

If mopping brings the paint up like new its probably best getting that done - not that my paint is bad although there is a 3 scar on the skirt where it had a fight with a kerb :)

ask if its a rotary machine and are they experienced using it , those prices are still to low , i get called to garages to sort out the fuck ups that the car washers make with a rotary , note i say car washers as these guys give valeters a bad name

No, Its a straight 6 - I thought it was only Mazda's that had rotary engines :D :p

Not sure what they are using but its a proper bodyshop and I know the guys who run it, they resprayed my front and rear bumper very well (a little overspray in one place though)

I'd get the car polished professionally if I chose to get that done - as I mentioned earlier the paint work is in good condition but has a few marks on it, the trouble is white stains easily and marks show up easily

Question for the valeters, i have what i first thought was old dried tree sap on my paint, so had a go at it with Creasta polishing compound, body shop recommended, didn't touch it! also left swirl marks (never done a black car before) do i need lambswool rather than fine foam?

Anyway had a go with G3 same result, don't know what this stuff is feels like dust buy dead hard, i am now actually wondering if the cat has been sealed with something? as when looked at in some light you can see what seems to be small watter spots/marks all over the paint and they also will not come off, i am beginning to think i will have to go over it with 1200 W&D to get rid of it, what do you think?