The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Auto Express HID test

Kn1ght

I can't view the video, just why is it illegal?

They say that vehicles that come with HID's from factory have headlights which scatter the light correctly, where as old vehicles that have been converted do not scatter the light correctly as the headlights were not desgined for HID's and in most cases blind others....therefor illegal.

Why are facelift lights ok? They weren’t designed for HID. I most admit when I see HID lights fitted as an aftermarket kit they never look the same as cars that have them from the factory didn’t think they would fail an MOT though.
When you next get a chance one evening, point your car at a wall and turn the lights on. You'll see the headlight beam pattern quite clearly.

With HID's retro fitted, some cars will scatter that beam all over the place due to the different bulb design. The Supra is OK and the beam pattern is unaffected.

I think that as Supras have a projector style lense the scatter is much less than other cars that have traditional lenses and therefore do not prject the light in the same way.
:yeahthat: That's what I was gonna say. The dipped beam on our cars is a projector type anyway so that's probably why we're ok at MoT time

• 2 years later...

Having had some difficulty in getting some Philips Blue Vision bulbs that I love and rate highly, I looked into the HID upgrade. As I seem to get all my bits and bobs from garagewhifbitz, I saw they seem to have an 8000k set at a respectable price.

Even though many places will provide an MOT even with poor HIDs on other cars etc (I guess this varies from MOT station to MOT station), no one, inlcuding any mechanics/MOT testers or traders as of yet, have confirmed if these HID upgrades are fully suitabale with Supra's (or the UK glass lenses in my case).

The images from Francis's car look good from a drivers perspective but IMO, looking at the front of the car, the definition of the lights does not seem to be that sharp.

I have new glass UK's with 4300k hid's and the beam pattern is very sharp, not as sharp as proper retrofits but you would hardly notice the difference. The problem doesn't come from scatter as we have projectors in the dipped beam, it comes from not having self-levelling headlights, strictly speaking I believe having hid's without this is illegal.

Has anyone passed an MOT with them in?

Yep, for about the last four or five years....lol :D

That guy in the video took his to a bloody Ford garage, what's he expect ! They probably failed it then told him they could fit new bulbs to correct it for £500.