The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Removing Oil pump?

Tricky-Ricky

Has anyone removed their oil pump or sump with the engine still in? if so any info/pics welcome.

Don't even think about it, pull the engine and do it on an engine stand.

A couple of questions. Does your car have an aftermarket oil cooler kit, or remote filter kit? Does it have a stock PCV system? Does it run the stock oil filter? has the engine ever been apart or rebuilt? Ta! :)

Why do you say that? thought you could undo the engine mounts.exhaust etc and drop the sub frame?

No oil cooler/remote filter, stock filter, well blueprint, stock PCV with catch tank, tested PCV system, no crankcase pressurisation, but anyway i still refuse to subscribe to that being able to cause the seal to fail for the reasons i posted in the oil seal thread.

I do however think my engine has been apart, at least the sump and oil pump, as unless Toyota use slightly too much black silicone? so i do wonder if the oil pump has been replaced before, perhaps to cure this same problem.

When you do take it apart (and yes, you could support the engine on a beam from above, drop the subframe and drop the sump, but hell, what a pallaver, and it will be a bear to clean everything properly for reassembly), please strip the pump rotors out and look for scoring due to either dirty reassembly, or sump / oil contamination when apart. I am very curious to see the internal condition of oil pumps, even new or newish ones, that have suffered oil seal failure. The one and only case of oil seal failure I have personally witnessed (you reading this Mike Mac?) had had a recent engine rebuild. Sound familair anyone with oil seal troubles? :)

Yup - I'm keeping an eye on these threads for sure!!

Mine had the head stripped and rebuilt. The only work on the bottom-end was the replacement of a failed Crankshaft Pulley Damper, which I think most people agreed wasn't a likely cause.

AFAIK the bottom-end is untouched bar that work, the car has had 2-300 miles on it before I went abroad and seems fine :ok: