The mkiv Supra Owners Club

APR spoiler, fits like a dog

lockys96

Id expect more from a top-brand?

i knew id have to mod the edges by triming them back, as my new arches are not at the same level anymore,

so i did this, and had to also grind a lot of the underside to make the spoiler block fit the tailgate.

spent all day yesterday modifying and spraying the blocks. they look real good.

thought it would be a piece of piss to fit right.

well know, firstly the upright brackets couldnt be tightned from underneath as the holes drilled didnt match up with fitting a socket in, so more cutting.

fitted the spoiler blocks to the tailgate, then offered up the main carbon wing, threaded the bolts through and the front just about goes together, but cant tighten it otherwise it will bow in and some part will crack etc..

and the back part is really far out, so i need now to purchase new longer bolts, and some sort of spacer/bushing to bridge the gap.

anyone have any ideas where i can look for a spacer?

its a real pita:banghead:

Id expect more from a top-brand?

i knew id have to mod the edges by triming them back, as my new arches are not at the same level anymore,

so i did this, and had to also grind a lot of the underside to make the spoiler block fit the tailgate.

spent all day yesterday modifying and spraying the blocks. they look real good.

thought it would be a piece of piss to fit right.

well know, firstly the upright brackets couldnt be tightned from underneath as the holes drilled didnt match up with fitting a socket in, so more cutting.

fitted the spoiler blocks to the tailgate, then offered up the main carbon wing, threaded the bolts through and the front just about goes together, but cant tighten it otherwise it will bow in and some part will crack etc..

and the back part is really far out, so i need now to purchase new longer bolts, and some sort of spacer/bushing to bridge the gap.

anyone have any ideas where i can look for a spacer?

its a real pita:banghead:

What exactly would the spacer look like mate? can you do a quick paint sketch?

• 2 months later...
Guest Nicholas
just to add insult to injury,

the fookin spoiler is cracking along the front join line,

GREAT, WHAT QUALITY FROM APR!!!!!!

i just feel like giving up with all the shit ive had with the car

you're too close to give up mate just take it on the chin and fix it :)

You have a great car :cool:

letter going off to apr,

http://aycu29.webshots.com/image/22948/2000433930720234935_rs.jpg

http://aycu02.webshots.com/image/25121/2000403330026251094_rs.jpg

http://aycu29.webshots.com/image/22948/2000455140876921451_rs.jpg

http://aycu13.webshots.com/image/24172/2000431218365662670_rs.jpg

you would have thought that they would be the best,

i honestly cant see how they justify there prices,

big name player :thumbdown:

That looks like a piece of shite unfortunately. Take it off and send it back.

All carbon/GRP wings are laid up on two bits of tooling. An upper and lower. They're joined usually at the leading edge and trailing edge. Which become natural weak points. The leading edge more so because the trailing edge is joined over a greater area.

To get around this, problem what a half decent laminator would do (and clearly has not been done in this instance) is to put the first layer down so that the edges join in the middle. The next ply you would cut the top ply short by 5mm and the bottom ply longer by 5mm. Then do the same on the next ply by another 5mm so that there isn't a continuous butt joint through the cross section of the component.

As it stands at the moment, not only does that look bad, but aerodynamically, any potential good that it would ever do (and personally I don't think these type of wings are likely to do any good) will be SEVERLY hampered. I can change the entire characteristic of a wing by applying sellotape along the span, let alone having a huge great big crack on the leading edge.

Sorry to be harsh on this, but 2 things I know about are carbon lay-up's and how wings work. ;)

Even the one solid piece ones are made in two bits effectively. It's the joining process (which is done during the cure) which determines if it will split like Lockys, or stay in one piece. I imagine they're all joined the same as they're usually cut as kits (ie one template and all of the wings cut to that template) but Locky is just unlucky enough to have split his.

Did you buy it on your credit card? It's clearly not fit for purpose. Was it from a US trader that's on this or Supraforum's board? Perhaps you can explain the situation.

If you have no luck at all, I could possibly fix it for you, but really it should be put right by the manufacturer.

apr have said they will look at it,

although they want me to pay all costs of shipping both ways.

they say i have hit something and therefore is not under warrenty.

when i know i havent hit a thing.

its just a crap mould gone wrong.

i do not know what to do with it, being cracked along the mould line,

so send there and back it will cost me around £500.

they are not very good help, so buyers of apr beware

if its £500 then Im sure a good bodyshop could make it perfect for half that price.

JB

I had a similar problem with import fan with carbonfibre bonnet, they just didn't give a stuff, your problem not ours. Sorry to here of your problems, easier to get it sorted here:(

If you buy some 3M 9323 A/B 2 part adhesive. Also buy some black pigment (as this stuff is pink otherwise)

Mix the stuff together. The ratio is 100 parts of 'A' to 27 parts 'b'. Then just add a little black pigment.

Using a thin spreader (Ice cream lolly maybe) splurge a shitload of the stuff into the wing. Then use as many g-clamps as you can to clamp the edge together. After about an hour or so, wipe any excess off. Leave the clamps on for a day, and all should be good. :)

Failing that if you bring it to me one weekend, I'll cure it in our vacuum oven.

Best of luck!