The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Oh Dear 3 !!!!!!!!!!

Tricky-Ricky

Well as I'm sure you have guessed, the front crankshaft/oil pump seal has failed again:wtf:

first chance i had to take it out and do a little mapping and set up the boost, take things very easy initially, check under the bonnet frequently just to be sure;) all is well, finish tweaking the map and get the boost to just under 1.0 bar, so i thought just enjoy the drive, only had a few short blats, turn around about 20 miles from home, couple of quick overtakes and then that old familiar smell of burnt oil,

so pull over knowing what i was going to find under the bonnet, same as last time lost about a litre of oil not enough to take it below the oil level light, think briefly about trying to limp it home and quickly dismiss it and call recovery.

Just got back and that was 3.5 hours ago!

Now comes the difficult bit, its not worth just replacing the seal now as it will happen again, so i am still adamant that its down to and oil pump pressure/leakage possibly wear related problem causing the seal to fail because the drain hole behind the seal cannot cope with the volume of oil, and becomes pressurised behind the seal causing fa-lier.

it only seems to happen when RPM is taken beyond a certain point, and obviously oil pressure also rises, now I'm not talking reclines here, as i doubt i took it beyond 6,000 RPM so this problem now needs to be sorted.

I am so pissed off with this i feel like selling the dam thing but quitting is not an option, so i have two choices, try someone local to try and sort it with my input, as i don't have a garage and park on street, and in order to take a look at the oil pump it will involve either engine out or lifting engine and dropping/removing the sub frame, so would need a ramp at least!

The other option is to let one of the traders take it on as a Guinea pig/project to try and find a definite fix one and for all! but the expense is going to cripple me:( and I'm sure a new oil pump won't be cheap, nor are labour charges.

Anyway comments, condolences and offers of cheap fixes are welcome;)

Oh and a forum equivalent of a merit badge should be forthcoming JB as i managed not to sware;) :tongue:

Guest gzaerojon

sorry to hear this :(

can the pump be changed without removing the engine? if it can be done without doing so, i have a garage you can borrow :)

how east in sussex are you?

I have a driveway you can borrow in the East Midlands. Not much use, but if you break down again that way, bear it in mind ;)

Sorry to hear about your troubles though mate, and I hope it gets sorted without too much financial pain!

Thanks for the offer mate, i have heard it can be done without taking engine out with difficulty, but i think it needs a ramp to make decent job of it, if i get stuck I'll give you a shout:)

I think one of the biggest problems will be if i need to fit a new pump, do i modify it to prevent further trouble.

Thanks guys, in the light of a new day its still winding me up big time, its more the amount of work to sort it, especially when i have spent so much time on it over the last month.

I was either going to modify a std pump ( if i can find all the details?) or get a pre modded one, and would rather get one from the UK just in care of any issues like cracks etc, but the PHR one does sound like they have addressed all the issues etc.

Has anyone actually taken their oil pump out without removing the engine? if so i would welcome any tips to avoid stripping thing off that don't need to be.