The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Engine Noise @ 2000rpm

Guest merlinuk

Guest merlinuk

J-spec N/A at 2000rpm I have a knocking/tapping noise from what sounds like the rear of the engine! Pressing the clutch down makes no difference. It starts fine, absolutely no noise on tick-over and the noise goes after 2000rpm, as the revs drop from higher it rattles/knocks at 2000rpm again then dissapears.

Bit annoying, 'cause most town driving is around the 2000rpm/noisy area.

Any ideas guys??

got something loose, imo if it was engine would get worse as the revs rise i had a rattle from my exhaust bracket the one attached to the gear box it had a crack in it took me ages to find it had to put it up on a ramp .

Guest merlinuk

Something loose like an exhaust bracket would be welcome! as long as it's not engine noise.

Going for an exhaust on monday, does taking the cats out have much difference? I have the option of having this done at the same time.

I dont know if this helps but Stonkin had a similar noise but it was down to a 'sticky' tappit (or follower?) that sorted itself out eventually.

As for the exhaust - decatting will liberate a few more ponies, allows the engine to breath out all the exhaust gasses more efficiently by de-restricting the flow. It will also sound rawty, raw and mean :eyebrows: You could try having just one of the cats removed first, then both if you prefer. Just bear in mind that you will need one (or both even) back in to pass your MOT emissions test :rolleyes:

Hope you get the problem sorted. Where abouts in Staffs are you btw? Im in Wolverhampton :D

lolx

Linda

Guest merlinuk

If I go for the full decat, does the engine need anything doing to it? ie: different plugs etc?

Burton-on-trent from the end of May.