The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Car is back after JDM to UK autobox swap.

RedM

Following on from my thread HERE I have finally had the work done.

The job was a little more complicated than expected. The Toyota job bible doesn't quote for things like putting a UK autobox into a JDM car but it wasn't too bad. There is a worm gear that needs switching over to the UK box plus a couple of other fiddly jobs. They require part of the rear of the box to be removed which all adds time.

Anyway, it got done and I drove it for the first time this afternoon. I won't go so far as to say it's like a whole new car but it's a vaaaasssst improvement.

The best way I can describe it that pushing the gas pedal feels tighter and more responsive. That'll be it not slipping.;)

Now, when I floor it hard, the revs do pick up a little before the speed but I'm guessing that'll be turbo lag. No real delay like before.:)

I'm very happy. The box was a good buy from VeilsideTT and the guys at YVS Performance did a cracking job.

While the car was in I also had a cambelt swap, an aux belt swap, some new front brake pads and a weeping front oil seal replaced.

On the down side I need the rear suspension parts from the pic below and I also appear to have had coolant leaking from a pipe. It's most likely that the clip had blown (it's now replaced) but I've been told to monitor the levels for a while. The words head and gasket cropped up!:blink:

The guys at YVS also cleaned my engine and bay. I couldn't stop looking at it. Shiny black rubber and stuff. Nice.

..and I've so far found four stickers from them.:D

Rear Suspension EPC.JPG

So its good news then?! After reading all this, I'm pleased it got sorted for you.

Auto is great, but not if it goes wrong! :)

Did it cost you an arm and a leg at all?

£250 for the box. Refurbed with 5k on it! About the same for the fitting.

Jesus, How long has it been since you picked this up from me :D

Bloomin' ages.

Still cant belive we got an Autobox and TC in the boot of a supra.

Done it twice now. Sadly it leaked all over the place this time. Luckily, I'd taken everything out and it collected in the spare wheel well but OMG how absorbent are those rubber pads? I'll be squeezing auto fluid out of them for years.:blink:

My god I've never seen a Supra engine bay like it! You appear to have two turbos in some sort of sequential setup and a fancy cold air intake system that practically looks OEM!;) :D

-Ian

I don't have a Trial rear either.;)

nice one Martin, did they swap the t/c over too?

Oh yes. The £250 was box and TC.

The car feels so much faster. I've gotten used to giving it more welly to compensate for the slippage. Trouble is that I now find I'm the soap-on-a-rope side of the speed limit befoe I know it.;)

Sorry to keep banging on about this but I'm loving the Supra loads again.

I can't get over how much quicker she feels throughout every gear and the rev range. She also sounds louder!

Hard acceleration feels so different. More 'gentle' and less like the Millennium Falcon mode it was in where everything kinds went dead and then she shot off.

Loving it.

Sorry to keep banging on about this but I'm loving the Supra loads again.

I can't get over how much quicker she feels throughout every gear and the rev range. She also sounds louder!

Hard acceleration feels so different. More 'gentle' and less like the Millennium Falcon mode it was in where everything kinds went dead and then she shot off.

Loving it.

It must be wierd have a car that you can drive properly, like all the time :D