The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Walbro packaging question

Glosphil

Had a bit of an odd one, wonder if anyone can recall packing?

Got a walbro pump, but arrived was the wrong one, supplier shipped a new one. On the original the packaging is all the same, except the actual bag the pump is in, it was sealing in a bubble wrap bag that you had to tear open.

The new one came in an open bubble wrap bag, with a clear plastic bag inside, inside the clear bag was a load of liquid that went all over my hands, it smells to me like petrol but could be a clear oil I guess, consistancy of water.

My only concern is if its used or something. The other bits with it clearly are not used. I heard if it a pump doesnt fuel properly it can damage your engine.

Am I just worrying over nothing? supplier is happy to swap, but its a pain to swap yet another one when it may be nothing.

Cheers

Guest gzaerojon

it could be petrol i guess if it smells of petrol, petrol can thicken up it it's been sitting a while

unless it's some kind of lubricant sprayed on it to stop corrosion?

Bone dry is how I'd expect delivery. Did the fluid affect your hands /skin? Petrol would evaporate off your hands leaving a cooling sensation. It also dries the skin significantly. Which is why they should be packed dry.

Swap it over. just to be sure.

Guest gzaerojon
Well yeah I did think it could be that, had I not had another one I would of thought that, but the other one is bone dry and sealed in a diff way thats all. Its probably nothing, just wanted to be sure.

in that case i would send it back, it may be a faulty one that was returned at some point but then slipped though the net and got sent out again.

not worth taking a risk tbh especially if the seller is willing to swap it over

No it didnt evaporate, it stayed as liquid. slightly oily but not as thick as oil. I tipped the bag out and tried to light it the liquid too, but it didnt light. it was litterally soaked in it. But I guess if it were petrol, after time it wouldnt light anyway?

No it didnt evaporate, it stayed as liquid. slightly oily but not as thick as oil. I tipped the bag out and tried to light it the liquid too, but it didnt light. it was litterally soaked in it. But I guess if it were petrol, after time it wouldnt light anyway?

No mate, it would light. Looks as if it's a preservative oil. That's good imo stops any risk of any corrosion which may eat into the mirror finish internals. Which would wreck the pump of course.

Could be they forgot to plug the holes and the fluid leaked out, wouldn't matter though as a film would still be present on the components.

Looks like you'll be fine.:)

did think that myself too, but rubber caps all on, and if u take them off the other one, there's nothing in it.

I think I'll just try it, need to get it on.

What would happen if its not fuelling right, how would I know?

did think that myself too, but rubber caps all on, and if u take them off the other one, there's nothing in it.

I think I'll just try it, need to get it on.

What would happen if its not fuelling right, how would I know?

Don't know mate. Have you got AFR gauge? If yes or no shoot through Homer's threads on a search. Man knows loads. Good luck Dude.