The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Vvti

boombastictiger

Having owned both in 6-spd format.

The midrange torque is the big thing on the VVTi. I found it far more punchy with the first cat still in, than my fully decatted 93 spec which had a MINES ECU.

If I had to have a stock car I'd have the VVTi every time.

Because the VVTi has more torque below 4000rpm compared to the non-VVTi the power delivery is quite a lot smoother. You don't get that sudden surge when the second turbo comes on line. This can make it feel less powerful to some people but it's not.

Like Alex I've had both types and I much prefer the VVTi.

I done a 5000 word dissertation for a university project on variable valve timing systems, and I wanted to know how the vvt system on the supra felt like compared to a non vvt supra..

I was wondering if you really felt the variable timing whilst your driving which has been answered :) thank you, I have been thinking about a vvt-i supra car in the near future...i remember on the s2000 when the cam changed at 5000 it felt like a lil turbo kicking in, was wondering if you had a similar experience on a supra

I done a 5000 word dissertation for a university project on variable valve timing systems, and I wanted to know how the vvt system on the supra felt like compared to a non vvt supra..

I was wondering if you really felt the variable timing whilst your driving which has been answered :) thank you, I have been thinking about a vvt-i supra car in the near future...i remember on the s2000 when the cam changed at 5000 it felt like a lil turbo kicking in, was wondering if you had a similar experience on a supra

It kicks in at 5600 and no the change isn't dramatic.

In theory you can map a continuously variable system so that you constantly have the "best of both worlds" power/torque combo right through the rev range - hence no noticable change.

What you can do, however, is purposely create an artificial "changeover" point purely for effect.

Don't for get that vte VTEC system that Honda uses is cam switching and not variable timing, hence it is different to VVTi.