The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Number plate transfer help!!

Graham S

As I have sold my car now, i'm being held up with removing the number plates..

Basically the story is..

Applied with the relevant forms to remove the number plate and apply for a new registration for the supe. Last week I receive a letter in the post saying I have to take the car to the nearest DVLA inspection centre so they can see the car. It also stated there could be police there too :blink:

As i'm running full decat and slightly dark ;) window tints on the front (not windscreen) does anyone know what kind of inspection they do and will they be doing emissions checks etc?

Starting to kind of poop myself that they might refuse the transfer.. I hope someone has any kind of hard facts as to what will happen.

Ive never had this issue but my friend who changes his car more than i have hot dinners has had this very request. They said it was because the plate had been on X amount of cars in so many years.

But in the end one of the cars ran out of tax and he enquired about transfering the plate and all they said he needed to do was re tax the car it was on before the transfer could happen.

Ah, the car isn't taxed as its been off the road for the winter. But they know this and still want me to get the car to them! WTF! Luckily I have trade plates and can use them (I hope!). They know its SORN'd. Do you know if they checked the car over or anything.. I hope they don't want me to tax it as I have no documents as they have them all!

They *should* offer a service where they can visit you at home. Thats what I did with my old track car. It took about 2 weeks for their inspector to become available but he showed up and there wasn't even a need for me to be present (left the keys with a neighbour), apparently he was done in about 2 minutes.

They *should* offer a service where they can visit you at home. Thats what I did with my old track car. It took about 2 weeks for their inspector to become available but he showed up and there wasn't even a need for me to be present (left the keys with a neighbour), apparently he was done in about 2 minutes.

I believe this to be correct Homer, the only draw back is, it can take up to 6 weeks for someone to inspect the car!

If the car is still registered to you and you drive it there on your trade plates, get ready for a telling off.

I did the same last week, he told me to bring it on a trailer as the trade plates are N/A if the car is in your name and not taxed.

He seemed to get off on showing me the papers that said it too.

If the car is still registered to you and you drive it there on your trade plates, get ready for a telling off.

I did the same last week, he told me to bring it on a trailer as the trade plates are N/A if the car is in your name and not taxed.

He seemed to get off on showing me the papers that said it too.

Well i'm not sure who's name the car is in, i think its possible its in the new owners name as he got the letter to say about where and when to take it to.. Thats my excuse!

But i can live with a telling off if they get the bloody paperwork sorted!

Thanks for the reply mate..

usually when i take a plate off, i get the new number and reg cert back in 2 to 3 days, and the log book takes around 2 weeks.

Its rare they need to see the car, ive taken about 2 cars in 20.

The reason for them asking to see the car is usually if the car has had a tax break.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest jimmy_bond

A mate of mine works at the local DVLA office.

He tells me that any vehicle registered on a G registration (1989) or older automatically needs inspecting.

Anything newer is at the discretion of the office manager.