The mkiv Supra Owners Club

LSD diffs

rik

After doing a few burnouts in my car at the weekend, i've realised that i have the non LSD diff in my car. Only one wheel was spinning up. I noticed it also this morning accelerating from a wet roundabout, hear the inside tyre spinning, but car not going sideways.

I'm planning to go to pod for some rwyb's at some point, am i right in assuming the LSD is better for quick launches? If so i'd look into getting one. What do they normally sell for? .... jezzy :)

Cool. So it i worth the hassle/money to get the LSD. How much gooderer are they?

Much, much better than an open one!

That said, the stock torsen ones are not the best, it's one of the worse LSD's I've known in a road car.

A TRD diff seems to be the way to go, but they are relatively expensive at around £600 plus setting up and fitting.

Don't know if i'll stretch to a TRD one. Recon i'll give the stock LSD a go though ;)

Thought you might say that :D Same here though, would love a TRD one, but the old torsen will have to do until I win the lottery!

BTW, have you checked the VIN to verify if its an open diff?

No hadn't seen that mate. Good deal, but not likely to spend that much at the mo.

I've checked my vin plate, and i definitely have the open "wiener" diff on my car. Might look into getting standard LSD one.

Cheers for the codes earlier Darryl, i read them before Mawby lost them ;)

• 2 weeks later...
Thought you might say that :D Same here though, would love a TRD one, but the old torsen will have to do until I win the lottery!

BTW, have you checked the VIN to verify if its an open diff?

can someone tell me what the codes mean?

as iv been told i have the lsd but i wana check

can someone tell me what the codes mean?

as iv been told i have the lsd but i wana check

Here you go:

The first letter determines the ring gear size:

A = 138mm

B = 145mm

The two middle number determine the Diff ratio:

01 = 4.083:1

02 = 3.769:1

03 = 3.267:1

The final letter determines diff type:

A = Standard (non LSD)

B = Torsen LSD

What's so bad about the stock LSD?

I have little experience of any other, unless mine is aftermarket from the previous owner many years ago.

-Ian

I have an uprated one on my current black car and it has a lot more traction. So much so that it tends to really push the chassis in the dry; It also complains bitterly manoeuvering.. you can tell it doesn't like carparks!

What's so bad about the stock LSD?

I have little experience of any other, unless mine is aftermarket from the previous owner many years ago.

-Ian

Sorry Ian, missed this post. It's hard to describe, but the torsen on the Supra just doesn't react like the clutch type diffs on other cars I've owned - almost like it doesn't 'wind up' fast enough.